GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Installing Seat Skins

Default Installing Seat Skins

I bought a used rear seat back skin. I am conditioning it to get ready to install. Installing it looked a little complicated and I wasn't sure how good a job I could do, so I got a quote from a local upholstery shop: $180.00!

Has anyone installed a seat skin? How difficult was it? Did your work come out like a factory seat?

The local upholsterer gave me a good tip: Condition the leather from the back as well as the front. What a difference!!!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default I redid my drivers last year-here are some tips.

Here is what I have to add. Have lots of zip ties at the ready. Do the work in a warm place - not in a cold garage like I did. Leather stretches better when warm. Take care removing all the connectors as some will break as you do. When reinstalling the new leather, start with the seat bottom first and leave the zip ties loose not tight. You can tigthen them later after the side bolsters are on and in place. when those are on you can go around and start pulling the zipties tight in a pattern from the inside out. Also, do not bend the metal tabs holding the existing leather in place to far. They only take so much bending before breaking off. One last thing, if you can find a donor seat foam like I did go for it! It makes a big difference especially on the seatback. Also, test all your heater connections before reinstalling - will save you some headaches. All in all, it took me about three hours to do the one seat I had to do. This summer I will be tackling a split in the rear upper seats.

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph View Post
    Has anyone installed a seat skin? How difficult was it? Did your work come out like a factory seat?
    you may find this info useful

Quote Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
    you may find this info useful
    Thanks, that helps some. However, I'm doing the rear seat. Only the back first.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph View Post
    Thanks, that helps some. However, I'm doing the rear seat. Only the back first.
    pretty much the same thing i think, probably easier actually.

it helps to warm and wet the leather first, but be careful as that makes it stretch nicely but tear easily.