GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Very bad shifting

Default Very bad shifting

Other than a obvious transmission issue, where else should I look for problems?

Symptoms:

• On a cold start, the car wont go 20-30 feet w/o going into a Trans Prog. Seems as if I rev up to about 1500 rpm and coast, it just sits there as if its over-revving and not catching. Then when it downshifts, its very rough and sends it into a trans prog.

• I have to wait about 3-4 secs before I can hit the gas after breaking (once I feel it get into gear) or it will rev up and send into another trans prog.

• Also, 90 deg. turning and accelerating does not happen because it seems as if when im turning, its out of gear too.

• When I do actually get it to shift correctly and I'm accelerating pretty hard, I see the RPM guage almost quickly tick like a clock from the 2500-4500 range. I can also feel the car do what the guage is showing.
    Ive learned over time how to not let the car go into a trans mode, but now those techniques arent working anymore.

Its getting a fluid flush tomorrow (first one its ever had, I believe) and I hope they dont find any metal in the pan.

Shall I contact the Koeller guy too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Default *bump*

bump

Good that the fluid is getting flushed tomorrow - frankly some of the things you describe sound like low fluid, particularly the bits about no shifting after a stop. In a low fluid situation, a stop sloshes the fluid to the front and away from the pickup on many trannies, which starves the innards and can create momentary problems.

See what happens after the fluid is flushed and properly filled.

And make sure that whoever is doing the work knows what "properly filled" means on one of these trannies.
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT