GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: Definition of hero

Default OT: Definition of hero

Well we all know about the pilot who landed the plane safely in the river and everybody got out. A lot of discussion on the radio about if the guy was just doing his job or if he is a hero. I dont give a ****. But I'd like to think somebody of that calibre is flying my plane on Sunday. Actually, I'd like to think that happens every day

Depends on the details and the difficulty of the situation. I'm not sure that gliding a plane into the water is really challenging enough to be considered an act of heroism. If it is something that 99% of commercial pilots can handle as well, is it an act of heroism? Consider getting your car onto the emergency lane when your engine dies. If you do this, are you a hero?

I would consider Alfred Haynes (UA 232) to be much more of a hero as he faced a far more challenging situation trying to land a DC-10 that had all hydraulics fail due to a blown turbine on the #2. No rudder, no flaps, no elevator, no nothing. He with help managed to steer the plane to a crash landing at an airport by modulating the throttles of the two functional engines.
    Last edited by xspeedy; 01-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post
    Depends on the details and the difficulty of the situation. I'm not sure that gliding a plane into the water is really challenging enough to be considered an act of heroism. If it is something that 99% of commercial pilots can handle as well, is it an act of heroism? Consider getting your car onto the emergency lane when your engine dies. If you do this, are you a hero?

I would consider Alfred Haynes (UA 232) to be much more of a hero as he faced a far more challenging situation trying to land a DC-10 that had all hydraulics fail due to a blown turbine on the #2. No rudder, no flaps, no elevator, no nothing. He with help managed to steer the plane to a crash landing at an airport by modulating the throttles of the two functional engines.
    'Crashed and burned' comes to mind viz UA 232. I'm not in favour of using american expressions. Mainly because I dont know what they mean. But I think 'good job' sums it up in a nutshell. Hero? I think the proper response is ' hell yeah!'

I won't defend the title of 'hero' for this pilot who managed to safely land the airliner in the Hudson and keep everyone alive since the word heroic seems to be thrown around an awful lot. Keep in mind though that commercial airline pilots are not generally trained for situations such as these. Essentially they read about what should happen in the case of an emergency. This particular pilot is an ex USAF fighter pilot (same can be said about many airline pilots) that knew how to handle the plane and himself in this situation. I don't ever want to be in a situation where my plane goes down but I do know I would want someone of this pilot's caliber flying the plane in case of an emergency. To the passengers on this flight I would say this man is absolutely a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff View Post
    i Won't Defend The Title Of 'hero' For This Pilot Who Managed To Safely Land The Airliner In The Hudson And Keep Everyone Alive Since The Word Heroic Seems To Be Thrown Around An Awful Lot. Keep In Mind Though That Commercial Airline Pilots Are Not Generally Trained For Situations Such As These. Essentially They Read About What Should Happen In The Case Of An Emergency. This Particular Pilot Is An Ex Usaf Fighter Pilot (same Can Be Said About Many Airline Pilots) That Knew How To Handle The Plane And Himself In This Situation. I Don't Ever Want To Be In A Situation Where My Plane Goes Down But I Do Know I Would Want Someone Of This Pilot's Caliber Flying The Plane In Case Of An Emergency. To The Passengers On This Flight I Would Say This Man Is Absolutely A Hero.

Amen

wow when you quoted it it capitalized every word?

Quote Originally Posted by xspeedy View Post

And to this day nobody bought the computer-controlled fly-by-engine-power that was designed after this incident. The pilot/co-pilot would fly the plane using the regular controls while the computer controlled the remaining engines' thrust to more or less make the plane do as commanded. There wasn't much immediate control with this system but there was control when none existed in the normal sense.

The system was viewed as too costly for the low chance of needing to use it. In other words, our lives aren't worth it...

Gotta love a bean-counter,

Brian