GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Driveshafts and the ring from hell

Default Driveshafts and the ring from hell

Well finally installed the driveshaft in my son's 7er. When we drove the car it shook like . I called American Driveline who sold us the driveshaft, they was surprised and asked me if I had removed the spacer. I told him yes the spacer had been removed as they had told wife who picked up the driveshaft. After talking to Driveline about 10 minutes, they decided to order a new shaft. I have to tell you I was not happy about the prospects of removing and installing a new driveshaft. I spoke to my wife and told her what driveline had said, I even went out in the garage and got the spacer to show her it was removed. I brought it in and said see here it is

To which she replied uhhh that is not the spacer.....What ??? I called driveline back and told him it appears the spacer had not been removed. He was surprised and said I was probably the first person that had been able to install the shaft with the spacer in place. I asked him how do I remove it? He said unfortunately I would need to remove the driveshaft. Did I mention the first time we removed the driveshaft it was 11 below 0 Fahrenheit and my heater had failed. Well today we fired up the torpedo heater I pulled the driveshaft once again. Found the spacer

removed it and my boys 7 is back on the road and running smooth. AAAhhh communication it can be a blessing or it can be a curse.
    Last edited by Kibokojoe; 01-17-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Is there a prize for being the first person to install without removing the spacer??

You're now the go-to-guy for e32 driveshaft replacements (well, you and Shogun).

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

All in all not to bad a job. Learned a few short cuts. E32 and E34 same procedure for removal. Had to use two jacks one for the muffler and one for the trans.

I remember having one of those spacers on my new drive shaft too. Glad I pulled it off. It does make mounting the shaft a little easier by not letting the CV joint collapse while you're trying to neatly get it in place.

So you pulled the spacer off once you had the driveshaft mounted on the transaxle?

Yep. I believe that's how I did it. I liked the fact that while I was mounting the rear end of the shaft, I wasn't pushing all of that precious grease out. Plus the spacer prevents you from flexing the joint too much and damaging the rubber boot in it. Just gotta remember to remove before take off

Yeah makes a heck of a noise if you don't

I bow to Shogun