GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeler: UK 540i/6 FS shortly

Default feeler: UK 540i/6 FS shortly

Gents, a sad day is upon us!

I'm practically being handed a 40k miles 540i/6 E39 by a family member who wants rid of it... you guys are going to yell about how the E34's better but I probably cant ignore the offer on my plate.

Further I've only really got 2 allocated parking spaces and seeing as we've got 3 cars currently in our household something's got to give.

So, first stop is to offer her up to you guys cheap as I'd like to see her go to a good home before I send her out to the ebay crowd.

I'll start with the bad parts, which showed up the last time she was on the forum:
    1) 4th gear synchromesh is only working at about 25% efficiency - this doesnt normally cause a problem but shifting 3->4 quickly or 5->4 quickly will cause a crunch. It takes all of about 1 hours driving in her to adjust to the quirk of the weak synchro and to be fair I've driven her a long way in the last 18 months or so and it's not annoyed me enough that I'd want to spend the 500 quid on a replacement box. While I've had her I've probably crashed 4th gear less than once a month on average.
    2) passenger side door has a slight ripple in it from where the owner before the PO has had a minor contact with a post or the like - again it's not annoying enough to spend money on... and hasnt broken the paint.
    3) Steering lock is a little stiff
    4) Seam on the drivers seat has split down one edge, about 2"

Okay, onto the good bits:
    She's had no expense spared when looked after:
    She's had the best part of 2.5-3k spent on her in the last 18 months including:
    New clutch, radiator + hoses + protective plastic works for both, PCV place + manifold seals, coil pack legs with plugs, new tyres all round, new front shocks, new springs all round (35mm Lower front 10mm back, originals will be supplied with her,) new dogbones, new brakes front and back, new lower control arms.

She's also had the rear subframe bushings moved over to Powerflex as well as the thrust arm bushings.

The PO had a short shift kit fitted which improved gearbox feel no end.

Replaced her exhaust with a totally solid unit off a low mile 540 with auto box failure. Both cats are solid, if a little scratched. When the clutch was done all the manifold to downpipe hardware was changed for new stuff.

Clear rears fitted. Will be supplied with the original Head unit + cd changer (If I can rummage it out of all the moving boxes)

Tax is due up shortly, if before date of sale I'll throw six months on, but MOT is till the end of OCT and she practically flew through last time - she only failed the first time on a smashed headlamp adjuster (damn phesants) and handbrake adjustment. To get her through a brand new auto adjuster was purchased and I totally replaced the rear brakes including the handbrake shoes.

Engine wouldnt rock a coin off it once warmed up, running sweet as a nut.

The list of new bits above isnt comprehensive, I'm sure I've missed something big off there, will add when I remember.

Best bit, because of her flaws if one of you guys stumps up just £1k she's yours

Anyone interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Best bit, because of her flaws if one of you guys stumps up just £1k she's yours

Anyone interested?
    Possible to get a list of options?

Mileage?

Where are you? I'd like to see it this weekend if poss.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Sorry to see you leave the fold Ferret but I understand. Even as an E39 basher I recognize our cars are elderly.
    Good luck with new bitch.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis View Post
    Possible to get a list of options?

Mileage?

Where are you? I'd like to see it this weekend if poss.
    That was quick

I'm down in Reading on an RG7 postcode south of the M4.

She's coming up to around 150k - though the clock currently shows about 70k as it's marked in the service history that she had a clock change about 80k due to an electrical fault.

Off the top of my head her options are:
    Aircon (Working, had it recharged last summer)
    Sports black leather seats
    Full remote closure (With two keys, both working)
    Has full carpet set
    ASC+T (Fully working)

Interior:

She *isnt* fitted with cruise, but things like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=280302210139 pop up frequently

I think this crappy photo is the most recent one I've got:

Aand the back end:

I may be able to do this sat afternoon, but let me check first and I'll send you a pm either tonight or this morning with details (If you're within reachable distance of Reading) If you're a long way away I may be able to meet you halfway and use it as an excuse to meet some old friends oop north Send me a quick pm with where you'll be coming from and we can sort stuff out!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the PO also had her fitted with a keytouch T1 immobiliser for insurance purposes as she's non EWSII - I've got the full T1 certificate present as well.
    Last edited by Ferret; 01-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Reading's roughly two hours from my girlfriend's place near Leicester, which is where I usually am on the weekends. If you're free Saturday afternoon, I'll see if she & her daughter are up for a road trip.

I might be able to fit the cruise out of my dead 525i, but if I can't, it's certainly not a deal breaker.

What's the whuzzit on the left side of the boot lid?

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis View Post
    I might be able to fit the cruise out of my dead 525i, but if I can't, it's certainly not a deal breaker.

What's the whuzzit on the left side of the boot lid?
    If it was an M50 525i all the cruise bits will just transfer over, you'll just need a new cable which is about 8 or 12 quid when I investigated it when I first got the E34.

The 'whuzzit' is a souvenir sticker from when the PO took her out to germany - reads Grune Holle which is the name of the Nurburg entry point (I think, correct me if I'm wrong.)

"Borrowed" picture from the PO

Green Hell, a name not so affectionately applied by racers.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Ferret there are a few 540-6s about at the moment which is a surprise as they are very rare, all of them are going for double what you want so I'm sure it will go. I would have it myself if I had the spare cash but January is a bad month!

So when can we expect you to be back in an e34? Are e39s on par with e34s for DIY or are there too many electrics? If you can't DIY it my guess is you'll be back

Good luck with the sale.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15 View Post
    Ferret there are a few 540-6s about at the moment which is a surprise as they are very rare, all of them are going for double what you want so I'm sure it will go. I would have it myself if I had the spare cash but January is a bad month!

So when can we expect you to be back in an e34? Are e39s on par with e34s for DIY or are there too many electrics? If you can't DIY it my guess is you'll be back

Good luck with the sale.
    Missed this post somehow

Dave's had a good look at it this weekend, but if he decides not to go ahead the latest I can keep it till is about the 12th of Feb.

It'd be a shame to have to push it out to the ebay barbarian hoarde, but she's gotta go as I cant store her for any prolonged period of time.

Underneath an E39 is actually very similar to an E34, the rear suspension's gonna be a pain as it's all floating link too - but apart from that it should be a very similar car. The electronics dont bother me... I did electronic engineering at uni so I'm okay with troubleshooting.

Okay gents, looks like I'm going to go to ebay

I'll put her up on thursday or friday (once I've confirmed payday, lol) on a 7 day spree with a criminally low starting price of somewhere around £750 to see if I can get any takers! Will put a buy it now price on there as well to see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast