GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I've been hit :S

Default I've been hit :S

This afternoon on my way home from work I had the pleasure of navigating heavier than normal Atlanta traffic. I was 2 exits from getting off the interstate when traffic slowed abruptly in my lane. I jabbed the brakes pretty good but had plenty of room in front of me. Seeing I was safe ahead of me, I checked my rearview as I always do and see a car bearing down on me. A quick check of the side mirrors looking for a way out gave me no hope and I got whacked.

The damage isn't too bad from what I can tell, just need some bumper work. Obviously the full extent of the damage cannot be assessed until the bumper is pulled but it looks like I may have gotten fairly lucky.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I don't carry a camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 01-14-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Looks like just a bumper cover, plenty used for sale, maybe even a color match.
    Be sure to check carefully for any kinks in the trunk and make sure it's still water tight.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

There do not appear to be any kinks, dings, or other problems besides the scraping and cracking on the bumper and it being pushed forward a little. The gap on either side of the trunk lid is off a bit as well but I am unsure if it was like that before. The trunk is still water tight so that's good. I am sure it is just a matter of aligning the trunk lid, though I am not sure how one would go about doing that.

If I find my camera I will put a couple of better pictures up, not that there is much more to see.
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 01-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.

those bumpers are surprisingly strong, mine is still doing well after that jerk pushed me through a drivethu last summer in his pickup.

I agree. This is my second time being rear-ended in an e34 and I swear the noise the wreck makes is louder than you'd expect for the amount of damage done. Structurally everything seems fine, but now I have another ugly spot on my car. Here's to insurance not screwing me over this time.

The shocks behind the E34 bumpers take a good hit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think most of the 'bang' that you hear when someone rear-ends you are those shocks at work. That's why you think "f&&k, my back's probably totally gone" and you have a look around and it's just the bumper busted up a bit.

Is it standard practice to replace the bumper shock absorbers after an accident? I went had got an estimate for repairs and it does not include them.

Just wondering...

I'm not sure. I have been shunted a couple of times before, but not as serious as you, just cosmetic gouges in the bumper which was patched up and painted.

Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that these shocks can only take one hit before being replaced. I'm pretty sure I am still on the same shocks that were there on my car when I bought it, and since then I have been shunted a couple of times and the shocks still do their job.

If your whole back end was physically ripped from the rest of the chassis in a more serious accident, then perhaps so.

Quote Originally Posted by LunatiC View Post
    Personally I find it a bit hard to believe that these shocks can only take one hit before being replaced. .
    I think they are a one hit only - part of the crumple zone. Somebody ran up my arse I'd want them replaced ready for next time