GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: e34 Heater problem

Default e34 Heater problem

Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster here, and not a major DIY talent. I've fixed a few relatively simple things on my 1993 manual 525 (m50).

The current issue with my heater has been covered by other posters, but I'm still reluctant to (a) take on the onerous task of removing the dash, remembering where everything goes etc, (b) pour in radiator flushing/ leak-sealing products which may do more harm than good, or (c) spend a whole lot of money.

The problem has arisen in recent cold weather. I'm struggling to keep the windscreen clear, with a halo effect from the film of coolant on it, a strong smell of coolant, and on one occasion even some evidence of coolant on the exterior of the screen. It doesn't matter what I do with the heater/blower controls, I can't keep it clear in cold or wet conditions.

When I shut off the three slider controls I can see steam coming out of the dashboard and door vents as the engine reaches operating temperature. I've had a look in the engine compartment for any sign of vapour when the engine reaches operating temp, but there's nothing by way of visible steam.

There's no visible sign of a coolant leak in terms of wetness in the carpet or anywhere else.

The heater still works normally in terms of provision of heat, but not being wrapped around a tree is obviously more important than being warm.

Coolant loss is significant if the heater is in use, and less so when it's off, though there has been some abnormal coolant loss since I bought the car a year ago. The sudden worsening of the situation has only recently occurred.

Obviously I'd like it if a radiator leak-fixing product would do the job, or ditto for a radiator flushing product. I've seen warnings about possible sudden dumping of boiling water on my feet if the wrong course of action is taken, so I'm nervous about just "giving it a go".

I really don't trust myself to take the whole thing apart, and I'm reluctant to pay several hundred Euro for someone else to do it, so the last option is to bypass the heater. Is this as straightforward as it appears?

I love the E34, this is my second following on from an automatic 520, and I'd like to keep the beastie going for a while. I know the heater is one of the weakpoints in the machine, but it is almost 16 years old. The engine is phenomenal BTW, with 165,000 miles on it.

If anyone out there can advise me on the best course of action I'd be very grateful.

All the best.

It is straightforward but time consuming and you may find yourself disassembling stuff you didn't need to.
    Nobody likes this job but it is just a nuts and bolts job. If you do it yourself you will; A. Have the satisfaction of having done it. B. Save a load of cash. C. Have the opportunity to clean out the coolant residue so you wont be smelling it forever.
    Plan on a stiff drink and maybe a chiropracter visit after.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    It is straightforward but time consuming and you may find yourself disassembling stuff you didn't need to.
    Nobody likes this job but it is just a nuts and bolts job. If you do it yourself you will; A. Have the satisfaction of having done it. B. Save a load of cash. C. Have the opportunity to clean out the coolant residue so you wont be smelling it forever.
    Plan on a stiff drink and maybe a chiropracter visit after.
    Thanks for the reassurance Ross.

Am I right in thinking that your reassurance regarding my ability to do the full removal means that there's no possibility of a "quick-fix" i.e. sealant for leaks or flushing for blockages?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyasking View Post
    there's no possibility of a "quick-fix" i.e. sealant for leaks or flushing for blockages?
    That's right -- there isn't a quick-fix. It's a tedious job that will have you yawning with boredom between bouts of puzzling where to put all the removed bits (I recommend the kitchen, so you can involve the missus in the shock value), but it's actually very easy.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

There is always the possibility of that working. I'm not a big fan of cures in a can and always prefer the correct fix. Especially if someone else is doing the work!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Ross and Dave,

Thanks guys. It looks like it's the big job then. I can't wait.

There goes a weekend.

I'm much obliged for the clarification.

Another job that needs doing on mine *sigh*

Mine will stabilise for about a 2-3 months with a can of radweld or the like, but it's by no means a permenant fix!

Yours sounds like it's a massive leak if you can physically see steam coming out of it there's no way a one-shot can of something would sort that out...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Another job that needs doing on mine *sigh*

Mine will stabilise for about a 2-3 months with a can of radweld or the like, but it's by no means a permenant fix!

Yours sounds like it's a massive leak if you can physically see steam coming out of it there's no way a one-shot can of something would sort that out...
    I'm girding my loins in preparation for the task. I don't have an indoor space for the job, and it's pretty cold here in Ireland at the moment. Oh, for a garage.

I bought the car last June to replace my old 520 auto, which was (a) in need of a steering rebuild, (b) was two years into a transmission repair, and (c) was showing signs of heater problems itself. I decided against spending money on the steering in case the other problems reared their ugly heads shortly after.

I got the 525 for a snip, replaced the rear shocks and top plates, and took the car absolutely chock-a-block with camping gear plus wife and two teenagers across France and Spain without a hitch. Those extra horses helped in pulling that weight for about 3,000 miles. What an engine.

I love these cars, but I'd love to wake up tomorrow with the heater job done and dusted.

All the best, and good luck with the job

When I was 16 and still green, I ahd a 77 Trans Am with a bad heater core. Got my feet with this car and tackled it myself. The heater hose clamps were up behind the inner fender and the only was to get to 'em....take off both the inner and outer fender, not to mention the majority of the dash. Taking the time to do it right beats then hell out of the green pond that was accumulating on the passenger floor.

You can do it and will be succesfull.
    Cheers
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

There's another way. Block off hoses to and from the heater and run without it. Dress warmly. Not elegant but puts work off until better weather. Get a can of windshield "melt" for frost to take care of the defrost setting.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast