GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1990 E34 Radio Wiring Color Codes

Default 1990 E34 Radio Wiring Color Codes

Hello, I have an 1990 E34 535i. This car is in the U.S. Oregon. I bought the car from some guy that had no idea what he was doing. He cut all kinds of fun stuff and really messed up all the wiring for the radio and the amp wiring in the back.

Does any body have any way of knowing the Factory Wiring Color Codes? Like yellow with black stripe is left speaker front. Or what ever. I have tried the web site a/d/s and I printed there codes out but they do not seem to be the right ones. If any one knows a link or anything that could help this problem that would be awesome. Thank You so much.

-Polley
    Last edited by Polley; 01-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.

These links may be of use to you:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1111254
    Check Post #3 for colors. The thin white wire is for the power antenna if you have one and the switch for the amp. It has to wired up to the power antenna cable on an aftermarket radio. You will also need to take the two thick brown wires which are for the common ground system and stick them to any metal part of the headunit. My Blaupunkt aftermarket one had the stock system where the two grounds attach to a screw post. Also note that you should tie up all the (-) speaker wires together and not attach them anywhere. The common ground system does not require for them to be wired, with the stock amp that is.

http://web.archive.org/web/200704081...ldWire_big.jpg
    http://web.archive.org/web/200704080...eo/Old_big.jpg

1989 11/88, M30B35 175k-miles 535iM
    1988 04/87, M20B27 153k-miles 528e
    1987 01/87, M30B34 126k-miles L6
    Washington D.C

Thank You so much that really does help. I guess I could have said I was putting in an after market radio. Those links and your helpful information tells everything about the power wires and the negative speaker wires. But which ones are the negative speaker wires? I have no clue. I get that they all need to be wired together put I don't know which one needs to be wired together for a ground. And Is there anyway that some one knows like which speaker is which. (Yellow/red stripe is front right Positive) Or is this just a trail and error part and have to hook each one up and see which one comes on. Because that works too. But is there like a code to striped are negative or I don't know. I also didn't know if say I am putting a after market amp where the stock amp go's. Sorry I didn't know it would make a different's. I never saw the old amp the guy I bought it from took it out. Thanks for your help guys. And if there is any info you need to know just tell me please I am not sure what you need to know to help this problem.

-Polley

One thing you can do, add the car details as shown above or copied here
    11/88 535i 5-Speed 170k

go to user cp and add that, or as signature, helps us a lot to help you.

I have a 1990 535I and if you need me to look how mine is run, I could see what I can do to help.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by vping View Post
    I have a 1990 535I and if you need me to look how mine is run, I could see what I can do to help.
    Thank You but I do not want you to go out of your way for something like this. You would have to take out your deck and amp and look at the wiring colors and all that. I could never ask someone to do that. I mean if you already know something about the wiring then great but other wise don't worry about it. I have started by just pulling each speaker out and finding which wire goes to what speaker and which color they are and writing them down. But sorry if my description of my car is not enough. Do you know what people want like for a description of a car? Like what specs? I mean I put down the it was a 1990 535I so what else do they need? Anyways thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    One thing you can do, add the car details as shown above or copied here
    11/88 535i 5-Speed 170k

go to user cp and add that, or as signature, helps us a lot to help you.
    I am really sorry for not having the right description. What does there really need to be? Because I am not sure what people need. I mean I said it was a 1990 535I what else do I need to put down, because I would love to put that in my signature or user cp. I did not know what else to put down. Again sorry for the problem. Thank You for your time.