GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stepper motor bracket

Default stepper motor bracket

Shogun where can if find the stepper motor brackets that have been created for the repair of the broken stepper motor mounts? Found your site on IHKA repair and the link to the Japanese pages. Interesting babel fishing the text. It was like conversing with Yoda. Fortunately for me I was born in Japanese and spent 4 years on Okinawa . Can't read the writing but I do understand how they speak and their grammar structure. Anyway after studying the pages it looks like my problem with continuous cold air on the passenger side is due to 1. a broken stepper motor 2. Broken flap, or 3. I am hoping it is a broken mount on the stepper motor.

That is very good, that you can understand Japanese, so keep this site under your favourites, very good info
    http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/index.shtml
    There is a google search on that site, but of course in Japanese, so you have to find te right Kanji or Katagana to search. Use google translate. But sometimes it also works when you just use the english/german BMW abbreviations such as CCM, then for example this come up
    http://www.google.co.jp/custom?domai...D%3A1%3B&hl=ja
    So back to the brackets, now you have to learn also German

My friend Wolfgang in Germany has a good E32 site
    http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/
    Index is in German, but a lot of links are in English then.
    On my websites there are links to dictionaries related to car specific parts names.
    In this case go to Innnenraum = interior
    click Heizung Klima = heater and aircon
    click Klimaanlage = aircon

then you find Ausbauhilfe Klimaautomatik =help to repair climate automatic

and then you find this, here the direct link
    http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-ihka.htm

The brackets everybody has made by themselves
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/200205/

some more pics
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/599373/
    On the German board the member ks-na has made some brackets to avoid this breaking of the stepper motors, actually he wanted to make them available for others too, but long time no answer from him, I ordered some. Maybe you can make them and sell them. Bimmerboar E32 forum members would lik to have them too.
    See here http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/ubelt...ung-94773.html
    See post number 10, where you have to open a pdf file. You can only open that file after you registered on the German forum, but that you did probably already, becaue you want to see your car there in this thread
    http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/e32-a...ht-105988.html
    will be added soon
    The final brackets to stop the breakage of the stepper motor in the future are in this posting
    http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/ubelt...tml#post943103

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Shogun where can if find the stepper motor brackets that have been created for the repair of the broken stepper motor mounts? Found your site on IHKA repair and the link to the Japanese pages. Interesting babel fishing the text. It was like conversing with Yoda. Fortunately for me I was born in Japanese and spent 4 years on Okinawa . Can't read the writing but I do understand how they speak and their grammar structure. Anyway after studying the pages it looks like my problem with continuous cold air on the passenger side is due to 1. a broken stepper motor 2. Broken flap, or 3. I am hoping it is a broken mount on the stepper motor.
    If the problem is a broken stepper motor mount, an important thing to know when fixing the broken one or when doing an home made one is that the step motor arm absolutely need some stop points on the mount (when completely close and also when completely open), first thing the set motor does when activated it rotates it's arm in the direction to close the flap until it meet the stop on the mount (that's is reference point, normaly the flap will be completely close, from there it rotates in the other direction (opening the flap) the number of degres you request (partialy open or fully open...). If the step motor can't find it's reference point (it's stop point on the mount) it will rotate the arm randomly, most of the time it will keep the flap partialy open when you think it should have fully close it (reason why you have cold air).
    Last edited by Claude; 01-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.

When you say randomly, you mean it finds its own point? Looking through all the documentation it looks like the air vent on the passenger side rotates about 120 degrees. Doesn't the stepper motor shut down when there is resistance and an increase in temperature of the motor?

I have translated Klaus Stefan page but there are a few words that I don't understand. Was able to divide the words but only figure out half of the word.

BMW-Reparatur-Schrittmotorhalterung.pdf

wegge-explodes: What is wegge?
    Arretier-sheet : What is Arretier
    completed-kantet: What is kantet

I can send the document to you but need an email to attach

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    When you say randomly, you mean it finds its own point? Looking through all the documentation it looks like the air vent on the passenger side rotates about 120 degrees. Doesn't the stepper motor shut down when there is resistance and an increase in temperature of the motor?
    You're right "it finds its own reference point" meaning one where it sense some mecanical resistance, with a broken mount it may be some other point of the mount than the regular stop or worst if the mount is completely broke it may be flap resistance when it reach it's full close or full open position... worst because the step motor torque is high enough to break the flap itself (for ex: make the shaft molded within the flap to spin freely inside of it) something you would like to avoid. As you see the stops (fully close and fully open) on the step motor mount are a MUST to reproduce when you build a new mount.

When you'll pull out the flap rod of the step motor arm you will manually and easily discover the fully close and fully open position of the flap (if the flap is in good shape) so this will give you an idea of how many degres the motor have to rotate from extreme positions, so where to put the stops on your new mount. When you activate the step motor (SM) in your rebuild mount if the SM arm does not fall within the two stop zone it's easy with a good plier to bring it there, the SM have relatively high torque but you could force it's arm where you want.

An other point: Your rebuild mount will never be to sturdy ! Remember, the SM have high torque, that's why overtime a weaken mount broke, so if you want it to do the job properly the first time make it unbreakable !
    Last edited by Claude; 01-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.

If a flap is broken is there anyway of replacing the flap without removing the IHKA?

here is the complete German info, what part should I translate?

Neue Anschläge für die Schrittmotoren der Lüftungssteuerung Die letzten Wochen bin ich mit ausgebauten Armaturenbrett herumgefahren (Kombi und
    Schalter waren natürlich angesteckt) und konnte das Spiel der Klappen und der Stellmotore gut beobachten. Dabei ist mir aufgefallen, dass die Anschläge speziell bei den beiden Halterungen oben auf dem Klimakasten ziemlich brutal belastet werden. Wenn der Stellmotor in die Endstellung fährt, verwindet sich die gesamte Halterung. Mich wundert jetzt nicht mehr, dass dort etwas gebrochen ist, sondern, dass es überhaupt so lange gehalten hat. Bei den unteren
    Motoren ist die Konstruktion etwas anders, deshalb dürften da nicht so viele Probleme auftreten.
    Bild 1: hier fehlt die Hälfte der rechten oberen Halterung.

Bild 2: und hier ein abgesprengtes Teil, das in sich auch noch mehrmals gebrochen ist. Deutlich zu sehen,
    der untere Anschlag

Da meine Halterung rechts oben ja zum Teil weggesprengt war und der Motor über das Getriebe eine unheimliche Hebelkraft entwickelt, habe ich überlegt, wie man schon am Motor, bzw. am Getriebe Anschläge anbringen könnte, so dass die Halterung gar keine Kräfte mehr aufnehmen muss. Das wäre dann auch gleich eine Lösung, die man, wie Erich richtig anmerkte, als Vorsorge einbauen könnte.
    Das Ergebnis meiner Überlegungen ist ein Blech, welches direkt auf das Getriebe aufgeschraubt wird. Das Blech hat zwei Laschen die in etwa da sitzen, wo auch die Anschläge der ursprünglichen Halterung sind. Der Kragen, aus dem die Welle des Hebels kommt, wird als ein Ankerpunkt zur Aufnahme der Kräfte zu benutzt.
    Bild 3: Arretierblech mit zwei Anschlägen.
    Das Loch und die Kerbung sind Aussparungen für die
    erhöhten Wellenlager des Getriebes. Für links und rechts sind diese Aussparungen unterschiedlich!
    Für die Bleche kann ich eine bemaßte Zeichnung liefern.
    Um das Verdrehen des Bleches zu verhindern, benötigt man natürlich noch einen zweiten Befestigungspunkt. Dazu habe ich an einer Stelle, wo mit Bestimmtheit kein Zahnrad des Getriebes dahinter sitzt, eine Bohrung mit einem 2 Millimeter Bohrer gemacht, mit einer runden
    Schlüsselfeile etwas aufgeweitet und dann eine 2,5 x 6 Zylinderkopfschraube eingedreht. Das Gewinde schneidet sich in dem Plastik ganz von selbst. Außerdem mussten 4 Millimeter Löcher an den Stellen ins Blech gebohrt bzw. gefeilt werden, wo die leichten Erhöhungen der
    Wellenlager sitzen, so dass die Grundplatte sauber aufliegen kann.
    Bild 4: Das Getriebe mit der Bohrung
    Um so weit zu kommen, habe ich mir aus Pappe eine Schablone der Halterung gemacht und ebenfalls aus Pappe verschiedene Arretierbleche angefertigt. Als das Pappmodell gut passte, habe ich zwei Arretierbleche aus einem 0,5 Millimeter starken Stahlblech angefertigt, eins für die linke Halterung und eins für die rechte. Die Teile habe ich mit Filzstift auf das Blech gezeichnet,
    das 8 Millimeter Loch in der Mitte gebohrt und dann alles einer Blechschere ausgeschnitten.
    Anschließen wurden die Bleche im Schraubstock gerade gerichtet und die Laschen um 90 Grad abgekantet. Die Bleche sind im Zuschnitt gleich, die Anschlagslaschen müssen nur auf verschiedene Seiten gebogen werden.
    Bild 5: Die zwei Getriebe mit den aufmontierten
    Arretierblechen.
    Seit dem Einbau des so ausgestatteten Getriebes in die linke, noch intakte Halterung, funktioniert die Klappensteuerung weiterhin einwandfrei. Man merkt, dass der Hebel von den neuen Anschlägen aufgehalten wird, die Halterung selbst ist entlastet, bzw. dient nur noch als Zusatz.
    Bei der rechten Halterung gibt es noch Probleme, da ja das obere Teil fehlt und damit viel Stabiliät verloren gegangen ist. Das abgebrochene Teil habe ich mit dem amerikanischen Superkleber JB WELD (bekommt man bei Amazon) eingefügt. Das ist wirklich ein Teufelszeug.
    Schade nur, dass es trotz Wartezeit vor dem Verarbeiten doch so stark verlaufen ist.
    Bild 6: Das eingefügte Teil. Der obere Teil der Halterung
    fehlt. Der Riss im Gehäuse rechts daneben wurde gleich
    mit verschlossen. Die Gummitülle ist neu.
    Der Schrittmotor samt Getriebe ließ sich nach dem Aushärten des Klebers wieder einwandfrei einsetzen, auch wenn das obere Teil der Halterung fehlt.
    Bild 7: Schrittmotor und Getriebe wieder
    eingebaut.
    Das Problem ist jedoch, dass der Schrittmotor den Bedienungshebel sehr weit bewegt, meines
    Erachtens weiter, als auf der linken Seite. Vielleicht liegt hier ein systematischer Steuerungsfehler vor und deshalb gehen bei so vielen Wägen diese Halterungen kaputt.
    Da die Hebel über das Getriebe eine unglaubliche Gewalt haben, kommt es sogar zu einer leichten Verbiegung der Blechanschläge und somit kommt wieder Druck auf die Halterung, speziell beim unteren Anschlag. Bei mir verschiebt sich der ganze vordere Teil der Halterung
    um mindestens einen Millimeter in Richtung Fahrgastraum, wenn der Hebel auf den unteren
    Anschlag aufläuft. Da bei mir oben ein Teil der Halterung fehlt, ist das ganze natürlich nicht mehr so stabil, aber ich fürchte, dass es zu weiteren Ausbrüchen kommt, wenn ich das nicht abstelle.
    Ich werde deshalb das Arretierblech aus einem 1 Millimeter starken Blech anfertigen und den unteren Anschlag etwas einziehen, so dass er nicht mehr auf dem Anschlag der Halterung aufliegt. Dann müsste es funktionieren. Ich berichte wieder, wenn das gemacht ist.
    Klaus Stefan

Manchmal frage ich mich, ob ich mir nicht einfach zwei gut erhaltenen E38 kaufen sollte, anstatt tage-, wochen-, monatelang an meinen E32ern rumzuschrauben! Mir graut schon jetzt vor dem Wiedereinbau des Armaturenbrettes.
    -----------------------------------------------

wegge-explodes: What is wegge?
    that is not a complete word, weg = omited, separated. What is the complete word? Edit: checked once more:
    weggesprengt = seperated, separated by force,
    sprengen
    weg sprengen
    =like separate by force

Arretier-sheet : What is Arretier

I assume you mean Arretierblech, that is fixing plate/sheet metal
    arretieren = fixing, fixing point, fixing pin etc.

completed-kantet: What is kantet:
    kanten = edging
    Last edited by shogun; 01-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Here is what I have worked up so far, still working on it

New stops for the stepper motors to control ventilation

Last week with the dashboard removed I could observe how the flaps and actuators function. I noticed that the brackets on the top of the box were broken extensively. Engineers should have created a better design.

Figure 1: Half Right upper bracket missing.

Figure 2: Broken piece temporarily installed

The bracket on the top right is destroyed due to excessive force from the motor. I ponder how to design a bracket to contain the excessive force within the bracket and reduce the force on the surrounding plastic components.

Here is an example of my plate screwed on the gearbox. The plate has two tabs in there sitting around where the attacks of bracket are original. The collar, from which the shaft of the lever, it will be an anchor point for the inclusion of forces to be used.

Figure 3: Sheetmetal with two attacks. The hole and the Notch is cut for increased shaft bearings the gearbox. For right and the left are these recesses different!

For the plates can I get a dimensioned Drawing deliver.

To stop the rotation of the plate to prevent, you need a second course Attachment point. I am at a point where no determination of the transmission gear sitting behind a hole with a 2-millimeter drill done with a round Key file something Expanded and then a 2.5 x 6 cylinder head screw inserted. That Thread cutting into the plastic entirely by themselves also had 4 mm diameter holes at the points drilled into the plate and finishing, where the slight increases in Shaft bearings sit so that the clean plate can be published.

Figure 4: The gear with the hole

To come this far, I have a made a pattern of cardboard, and fiberboard bracket also prepared various sheetmetal patterns. When the paper pattern fit I created two sheetmetal brackets from a 0.5 thick steel, one for the left bracket and one for the right. The parts on the sheetmetal with a feltpen, The 8 millimeter hole in the center and then cut the bracket out of the sheetmetal with metal shears. Inserted the bracket and gearbox in a vise and then screwed the bracket onto the gearbox. and the latches 90 degrees completed-kantet. The plates are cut the same, the attack must lacings just on different pages bent.

Figure 5: The two with the gearbox mounted on sheetmetal

The left gearbox mounting bracket was still in place so the new bracket sufficed in controlling the rotation of the lever on the gearbox.

On the other hand the right gearbox mounting bracket was broken and required mending with JB Weld as illustrated in the pictures. JB Weld is vicious and requires 24 hours to hardened.

Figure 6: The glued gearbox mounting bracket. The upper section of the gearbox mounting bracket is missing. The portions of the gearbox mounting bracket that were missing were filled in with JB Weld. The Rubber grommet is new.

The stepper motor with gearbox settled after the curing and worked exceeding well even with the upper section missing

Figure 7: Step Motor and gear again installed.

The problem is that the stepper motor operating lever moves very far, I think it moves further on the left then on the right. Perhaps this is a systematic control error, no wonder there are so many problems with this design

The gearbox lever works with incredible force and can bend light weight sheetmetal brackets and therefore could cause stress fractures in the plastic parts, especially on the lower stops. When I shifted the whole front part of the bracket at least an inch in the direction of the passenger compartment when the lever on the bottom on running attack. Since the upper portion of the brackets is missing I fear this is only a temporary fix and it will need to be replaced eventually. I will therefore create a heavy metal plate from 1 millimeter sheetmetal to reduce the flexing of the metal and the subsequent stress on the plastic components.

fine, if any question, just post the part you want to have translated and I will do that or others.

Here another big file, also German, technical traning material from BMW IHKA
    http://www.e38.org/e32/klimaautomatik.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast