GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Strong gas smell

Default Strong gas smell

My wifes 89'535I has a very strong gas smell, when the outside temperature gets around freezing. The car runs fine, but man it smell like gas. I can't find anything leaking, and the smell is strongest near the back of the motor. It only does this when it gets real cold outside. It's so strong, that I can't park it in the garage after running, in fear it'll blow up the house!

Quote Originally Posted by rockin1978TA View Post
    My wifes 89'535I has a very strong gas smell, when the outside temperature gets around freezing. The car runs fine, but man it smell like gas. I can't find anything leaking, and the smell is strongest near the back of the motor. It only does this when it gets real cold outside. It's so strong, that I can't park it in the garage after running, in fear it'll blow up the house!
    My guess would be part 11 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=13&fg=15
    The hoses to the fuel rail get hard with age. Tend to leak when the engine is cold. Fire it up and use nose/fingers to spot it. Dont use any naked flames. Smoking is ok as long as you dont inhale

thanks! I'll try to check it out tonight, that looks about like the spot it's real strong at.

If you need to replace it, loosen the line fixture clamp at the bottom of the intake manifold. That will make it much much easier to change the line.

Default This is very common on most european fuel injected cars, just

check the hose clamps at the back of the manifold near the firewall where the fuel supply and return lines have short section of rubber fuel line. As soon as the car warms up they swell up enough to seal. You'll find that the hose clamp is 1/4 to 1/2 a turn loose

Fixed. Just like you said, it was the little hose that connects the bottom fuel line with the top fuel line. Your right, you have to remove the clamp on the bottom of the intake to get it off. The hardest part was getting the OEM hose clamps off. They're round and had to use needle nose to turn loose.

Fixed. Just like you said, it was the little hose that connects the bottom fuel line with the top fuel line. Your right, you have to remove the clamp on the bottom of the intake to get it off. The hardest part was getting the OEM hose clamps off. They're round and had to use needle nose to turn loose.
    The tops of the BMW hoses I bought broke when they were tightened. I assumed this meant they had reached correct torque. Used mole grips to remove when I had to. Glad you got it sorted

What ARE you supposed to use on those OEM hose clamps? I went to check to see if mine were tight, but gave up.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Default If its the oem clamps that

have the breakaway on them then you have to back them out with vice grips etc and then throw them away. I use the bmw clamps that Patrick sells that don't have the little cut out notches on them and the outer edge on the band have a slight rolled edge so they don't cut into the hose when you tighten them.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM View Post
    What ARE you supposed to use on those OEM hose clamps? I went to check to see if mine were tight, but gave up.