GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "It won't start" question. *New Member*

Default Yet another "It won't start" question. *New Member*

1994 530i 5speed
    123,xxx miles

This vehicle has been driven approximately 1,000 miles in the last two years, hence, it sits A LOT. I recently had the radiator and cooling hoses replaced, though I don't suspect this to be a factor.

A few days ago I drove the car to work, a drive of around 2 miles. Car started up with a bit of hesitation as it was below 30 degrees F. After work I got into the car and attempted to start it with no success. As soon as I turned the key to "ignition" the engine turned over once and then not at all, seemed like a dead battery to me. With the key in the "on" position there were no lights on the dash, once again I just assumed the battery was dead. My parents happened to be in town on vacation so I had them come by and try to jump-start my Bimmer. The car we used was a 2000 Acura TL. With the cables attached properly I attempted to crank the engine, it would barely turn over and felt like we were drawing power from an EXTREMELY weak battery. The car never started.

We eventually gave up trying to jump the car as I felt we were getting nowhere and didn't want to further damage it somehow. I brought the battery home and put it on my charger overnight. The battery itself is no more than a year old.

With the battery fully charged I went back this morning to give it one more attempt. This is where I became confused. I have no mechanical/electrical knowledge but there is something strange going on with my car.

Connected battery and tried door locks. Worked as normal.
    Turned key to "on" position (position 2 I believe). Dash lights up as normal and you can hear pumps/motors whatever under the hood spooling up.
    But as soon as I try start position everything dies. Key back to on position and there are no lights on dash. Try electric door locks and nothing.

The strange part, is if I simply disconnect then reconnect the battery, it's like starting the whole process over, all electrical accessories work properly until I try and start the engine, then everything goes dead unless I disconnect and reconnect the batt.

Is this some sort of relay issue or do I need a new starter? New alternator? Maybe a fuse somewhere I hope? My intentions are to get the car running reliably so I can sell it. I'm a sucker for the E34 M5 and I can afford one now as soon as I get rid of my 530i.

Thanks in advance. -Brett

i think the first (and cheapest) things to check are your battery terminals and fusible links.

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-inde...e=Fusible+link

welcome aboard! bookmark that site it is the best on the web.

The battery seems weak. Or a corroded connection(starter cable?) causing high resistance somewhere.
    Just because the battery is only a year old and spent a night on a charger doesn't mean it's any good.
    Ryanroopnarine posted a while back on reviving batteries in a state of deep discharge. His method has worked well for me and I now offer him my belated thanks.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thank you so much for the quick responses. I'll give them a shot and probably buy another battery just in case.

This car has turned into a nickel-and-dimer. Though as you all know the nickels = $500 and the dimes, $1000... As you also know, so completely worth it when you get on the freeway and your '94 BMW can keep pace with brand new American cars.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoski View Post
    Thank you so much for the quick responses. I'll give them a shot and probably buy another battery just in case.

This car has turned into a nickel-and-dimer. Though as you all know the nickels = $500 and the dimes, $1000... As you also know, so completely worth it when you get on the freeway and your '94 BMW can keep pace with brand new American cars.
    american cars, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bkoski View Post
    Though as you all know ....
    yeah, we know.

I've had similar symptoms on another car of mine. Would refuse to turn over and upon measuring the voltage in the circuits I observed it go to 12 volts right after the battery was connected, but drop to about 5 or 6 once a starting attempt was made. Then the voltage remained low until the battery was messed with again. End result: bought new battery terminals and the car was back on the road. Check your terminals and see if they've become corroded and are not making good contact. Also check that they're firmly attached to their wires. HTH

My wifes 89' 535I had the same problem. Hers would kill the battery, and wouldn't charge the battery with a new altenator, starter and battery. Turned out, it was the black 2 wire locking connector, below the starter, that the wire off the altenator goes to, was cracked and corroded.

im having a little bit of a starting problem also...its about 7 degrees here in milwaukee and starting my 525 can be a real bitch.... it cranks for about two seconds then gets realy weak to the point that it wont crank anymore.the radio and other electronics still work but cranking stops if i stress it. i think it might be the altonator but not really sure... maybe the starter.. any insight
    Last edited by adrian.j; 01-26-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: forgot some info

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.j View Post
    it cranks for about two seconds then gets realy weak to the point that it wont crank anymore
    Bad battery.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast