GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone into R/C cars?

Default Anyone into R/C cars?

Tamiya is releasing the E30 M3 Evo this month, and I would LOVE to get my hands on something like that. I'm specifically looking at Tamiya model 58323. When purchasing something like that, is it chassis and body only, and you supply the radio guts? Would be curious to know how much I could get into something like this for. My Dad had a MRC/Tamiya 911 Turbo when I was a kid, but a stupid friend of mine stepped on it while I was driving it, crushing it...

Thanks,
    Bill B.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

I used to be.

I had a few Tamiya cars and then graduated up to a Team Losi JRX-T truck.

Typically the cars are just the car: Chassis, body, running gear (motor may or may not be included in the kit). The radio gear you would buy separately. I have heard great things about Futaba but I was an Airtronics guy myself.

Back in the early 90's when I was into it there were several great Hobby Shops in the greater Raleigh / Durham area. One in particular was called Hobby Haven. It was off of Lynn Rd.

There are some guys over at Bimmerforums.com that are into RC cars. One guy has a car with an e39 M5 body, it is sweet.

Go to a bookstore and buy the lates issue of RC Modeler magazine, a wealth of knowledge can be gained from that magazine. It helped me immensely when I was into it.

HTH,
    Scott
    Wilmington, NC

01 525iA For Sale
    Coming Soon: 2005 X3 3.0i
    05 Jeep GCL HEMI
    85 318iA SOLD
    96 Jeep GCL SOLD

Default The E30 M3 SIG was trying to arrange a group buy for these

but it turns out that they are going to be readily available for around $110 for the chasis and body, and you will have to buy a motor and remote, thats where the money is, figure it will cost $300 + once you get batteries and a charger etc and other miscillaneous stuff, then you can customize it.....

you can usually get a package deal from someplace like tower hobbies online and have all of the crap needed even paint to get running. i need to get my gas cars back on the track, i have a 1/10 hpi rs4 that'll do 60-65 mph on the local 1/4 mile vellodrome, my 1/8 hpi proceed will do 70-75 but i never finished tweeking it before i got burned out on rc racing and had to take a break, you know you have too much rc crap when a extra cab pickup truck almost aint big enough to cart me and one other guy + crap to the track, we even had our own police radar unit suspended over the track to track speeds
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Here's mine when I first bought it:

These little suckers are expensive though. Figure a minimum of $450 for a 1/10 scale nitro, after you buy all the batteries, fuel, chargers, etc.

I probably have $150 in mods into mine now. If I had it to do over I'd go for a monster truck, because you need a REALLY HUGE parking lot to get up to top speed with the cars.
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

I know this isn't a for real RC car but I bought 2 of the BMW LMR V-12 Lemans cars off ebay for $25.00 total a few years ago. These sold at the stealer for about $125 each new. Both were described as not running. I charged up one of the battery packs overnight and the thing runs like a champ! The other is in rougher shape and is a "parts car". I keep the good one at work and occaisionally take it upstairs to the large open tile floor in the plant and drive the hell out of it (at lunch time of course). Most of the plant mechanics and electricians get a turn at it and we sometimes set up a course. Cheap thrills...
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

we have one of those at work, it's painfully slow for us with our fast gas cars and hot electrics

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    I know this isn't a for real RC car but I bought 2 of the BMW LMR V-12 Lemans cars off ebay for $25.00 total a few years ago. These sold at the stealer for about $125 each new. Both were described as not running. I charged up one of the battery packs overnight and the thing runs like a champ! The other is in rougher shape and is a "parts car". I keep the good one at work and occaisionally take it upstairs to the large open tile floor in the plant and drive the hell out of it (at lunch time of course). Most of the plant mechanics and electricians get a turn at it and we sometimes set up a course. Cheap thrills...
    JR
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it