GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How can you tell dog bones are worn?

Default How can you tell dog bones are worn?

How can you tell if they are worn? Is there some visual way? For example, when my rear wheels are off the ground, it looks as if the dog bones are deformed or slightly twisted/changed angle. Is this correct? This a bit hard to describe. Even so, the "boots" around them do not appear broken.

I thought about replacing them as I understand they do "wear/fail" and affect handling and increase what appears to tracking/wandering issues. Parts are about $80 through BMA. Just do not want to spend $$ if not needed.

Thanks,
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

have fun installing them properly too! cant use soap or anything like that or they will pop right out, it doesnt sound like an easy job but I'm sure we have all done worse. I dont know how to tell if there worn but if they look good chances are they may still be.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Jeff - you're thinking of the subframe bushings, not the pitman arms...

The pitman arms are generally replaced when the boots tear. This allows water & dirt into the joint and it wears out (loose).

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

sure about that? I have been snoozing lately...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I've been told that those can really last....

when i was getting my car checked by a bmw only mechanic, i asked about a tear in the plastic part of the "bones" and he told me not to worry. he said they can go a long time before needing replacement and that i would hear a clunking in the back suspension when something would need to be done.

i guess that kind of reiterates the usuall around here, we are too stinking anal! myself included.

a mechanic once told me, treat your family nice, not your car. i find that really applies when your praying to meet the engineer who designed a space that only a "mini-me" could love.

Default Like many suspension parts, they degrade over time

Most things don't fail 100%, they just degrade gradually until they don't perform as well as a new piece.

Like Jeff said, torn boots is a good sign they are farther towards the "Failure" end of the spectrum than the "New" end. You will probably notice a difference if you change them, but you will probably not notice any specific problem until they fail completely...

If it were me, I'd put it on my "things to buy from BMA" list and get it next time I had a big order. Putting them on is a breeze.

HTH

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Default Thanks- I may replace soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    How can you tell if they are worn? Is there some visual way? For example, when my rear wheels are off the ground, it looks as if the dog bones are deformed or slightly twisted/changed angle. Is this correct? This a bit hard to describe. Even so, the "boots" around them do not appear broken.

I thought about replacing them as I understand they do "wear/fail" and affect handling and increase what appears to tracking/wandering issues. Parts are about $80 through BMA. Just do not want to spend $$ if not needed.

Thanks,
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment