GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Why you have a BMW not a Hyundai

Feel your pain, man . . .

Default OT: Why you have a BMW not a Hyundai

Bought her a 2.0 litre coupe about a month ago. Think its called the Tiburon in the States. Low mileage but as cam belt hadnt been changed it fell to me. First impressions: No room to get bolts out of cam belt cover. Second impressions: which twerp designed the bottom cover so it wouldnt come off without you taking the waterpump out? Ok I managed to get it in there anyway.
    So it just passed the MOT (early) with the exception of two rear flasher bulbs where the orange faded, and a cut in a tyre. Cool! Adviser on the fuel tank breather though. Check and its a one piece with the filler : £108!!! The screws near the neck wouldnt undo so needed to be drilled. After half an hour of buggering about I realise they made the new one 3/4 shorter than the old one! There follows a 'conversation' with local dealer. Result - no use. Bent supporting brackets to give me enough play to connect,. Just. Same twerp who designed the cam belt cover designed the filler/breather - it runs inside the wheel arch so gets shot to ****.
    I dont have cup holders in my car. And I certainly dont have a snazzy push button locker over head just for my sun glasses. But when I work on mine there is a semblance of normality and the parts I order always fit. And hers is a girlie car anyway so WTF. End of tantrum

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Bought her a 2.0 litre coupe about a month ago. Think its called the Tiburon in the States. Low mileage but as cam belt hadnt been changed it fell to me. First impressions: No room to get bolts out of cam belt cover. Second impressions: which twerp designed the bottom cover so it wouldnt come off without you taking the waterpump out? Ok I managed to get it in there anyway.
    So it just passed the MOT (early) with the exception of two rear flasher bulbs where the orange faded, and a cut in a tyre. Cool! Adviser on the fuel tank breather though. Check and its a one piece with the filler : £108!!! The screws near the neck wouldnt undo so needed to be drilled. After half an hour of buggering about I realise they made the new one 3/4 shorter than the old one! There follows a 'conversation' with local dealer. Result - no use. Bent supporting brackets to give me enough play to connect,. Just. Same twerp who designed the cam belt cover designed the filler/breather - it runs inside the wheel arch so gets shot to ****.
    I dont have cup holders in my car. And I certainly dont have a snazzy push button locker over head just for my sun glasses. But when I work on mine there is a semblance of normality and the parts I order always fit. And hers is a girlie car anyway so WTF. End of tantrum
    i owned a hyundai once - i actually gave it away, i couldn't take money for it.

Putting a fuel filler on one of those shitboxes is a huge leap of faith that they will survive another tanks worth. They are disposable cars for people who refuse to buy used but will only pay used car prices.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Putting a fuel filler on one of those shitboxes is a huge leap of faith that they will survive another tanks worth. They are disposable cars for people who refuse to buy used but will only pay used car prices.
    Well the fuel tank is plastic so I dont think it will rot away like the filler/breather did The basic design is fine. Its just that after that it seems to have gone downhill rapidly in terms of finish and materials.

Default Why did they have to put the water pump there?

Apart from a wheel bearing which was actually easy to replace, the Hyundai has behaved itself pretty well since last time. Just changed the antifreeze and the water pump decides to go now. And what do you have to remove to get at it? The cam belt! Somebody somewhere is having a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Apart from a wheel bearing which was actually easy to replace, the Hyundai has behaved itself pretty well since last time. Just changed the antifreeze and the water pump decides to go now. And what do you have to remove to get at it? The cam belt! Somebody somewhere is having a laugh
    Hmm, hope it doesnt chew bearings like my subaru used to!

Absoloute bastard of a car, the impreza, great fun to drive and handles like it's on rails, just it's totally shot past 75k miles... went through three dealer wheelbearings (under warranty) in the 3 months I owned it. Kinda glad I crashed it, but miss that insane STi power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Hmm, hope it doesnt chew bearings like my subaru used to!

Absoloute bastard of a car, the impreza, great fun to drive and handles like it's on rails, just it's totally shot past 75k miles... went through three dealer wheelbearings (under warranty) in the 3 months I owned it. Kinda glad I crashed it, but miss that insane STi power.
    The bearing was a bit weird. You just undo the stub axle nut and the hub comes off with the bearing complete. I expected the inner race to be stuck but it wasnt. Quite fancy the impreza but as I am way to old to be wearing a baseball cap backwards I think I will give it a miss

I think you would have been better off with a KIA

Shooot...what other company do you see have Hamsters drive their cars

haha
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3314&dateline=1239168  877

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4LIFE View Post
    I think you would have been better off with a KIA

Shooot...what other company do you see have Hamsters drive their cars

haha
    Dont think we have that ad. Well not yet. I have actually seen one though. The colour was like...blancmange. No accounting for taste
    She is now using MY car so I have to sort her Hyundai soonest. Its more presentable than the KIA. Its like this but its red and not as clean:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast