GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wired battery in reverse, lots of smoke, what is the best case scenario

Default Wired battery in reverse, lots of smoke, what is the best case scenario

So in the dark snowstorm tonight I connected a new optima redtop battery in reverse. It was sparking a bit as I tightened it, but I thought it was due to the water from all the melting snow. Then the negative cable (connected to the pos) started to smoke, and then I started to get smokw from under the firewall and from under the intake cover, i took loosened like a madman and pulled it off and doused it with an extinguisher for 2 secs just in case, but now the **** has hit the fan.

I of course put the battery back in the right way, tried to start, nothing. I also tried to jump the car, no power to the starter whatsoever.

No dome light, the sunroof opened itself (lifted up), I have power to the headlights and stuff, radio, dash all works, but no starter turning.

So how screwed am I? What are the chances that I burned out a significant chunk of wiring / ECU? Or have fuses saved my ass? Under the hood, the small fuses all looked ok. Haven't been able to check the big fuses - had to shovel and then push the car into the garage since the sunroof is now open.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    So in the dark snowstorm tonight I connected a new optima redtop battery in reverse. It was sparking a bit as I tightened it, but I thought it was due to the water from all the melting snow. Then the negative cable (connected to the pos) started to smoke, and then I started to get smokw from under the firewall and from under the intake cover, i took loosened like a madman and pulled it off and doused it with an extinguisher for 2 secs just in case, but now the **** has hit the fan.

I of course put the battery back in the right way, tried to start, nothing. I also tried to jump the car, no power to the starter whatsoever.

No dome light, the sunroof opened itself (lifted up), I have power to the headlights and stuff, radio, dash all works, but no starter turning.

So how screwed am I? What are the chances that I burned out a significant chunk of wiring / ECU? Or have fuses saved my ass? Under the hood, the small fuses all looked ok. Haven't been able to check the big fuses - had to shovel and then push the car into the garage since the sunroof is now open.

Ideas?
    My guess is your alternator is toast for a start. Radio too unless its got an 'idiot diode' in it. If the 'new' battery is still functioning, I'd connect up and see what still works when you get the chance. Unlucky

would the fusible link have sacrificed itself?
    Gone but not forgotten

not to threadjack, but how did you get the connectors to reach the opposite pole? did you put the battery in the hole backwards? i know that the wires in my underseat mounted 1992 525i won't reach all the way over.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

damn - sympathies man that's unlucky.

i was present at a boost gone bad once, the cables were crossed (wasn't me or my car). lots of smoke - kinda scary pulling the cables off. (think fast - which cable do you take off first?) no damage to either car, hopefully that bodes well for you.

the fusible links aren't inline with the starter, they only protect the vehicle electrical system. so the sunroof doesn't close now?

so you boosted from another source? maybe your "new" battery is cooked and won't pass enough charge anymore? have you tried another battery?
    i would also check the thick battery cable for signs of being cooked.

good luck ben, that is a bummer.

My guess is your alternator is toast for a start. Radio too unless its got an 'idiot diode' in it. If the 'new' battery is still functioning, I'd connect up and see what still works when you get the chance. Unlucky
    radio works, headlights work, interior dash lights work but dome light does not.

sunroof will not tilt back down - is there an emergency procedure to close the sunroof?

I'm going to be out of town for a week, so the car is just sitting in my garage at this point. I am worried that things are really toast in the wiring harness, and possibly the ECU.

It's less unlucky than REALLY STUPID on my part. I am so upset at myself, it's unbelievable. I am heading back to Canada tomorrow, and instead of driving my own car I will now be hitching a ride with my parents, who had come down to visit for the weekend. I feel ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    not to threadjack, but how did you get the connectors to reach the opposite pole? did you put the battery in the hole backwards? i know that the wires in my underseat mounted 1992 525i won't reach all the way over.
    my battery is not under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    damn - sympathies man that's unlucky.

i was present at a boost gone bad once, the cables were crossed (wasn't me or my car). lots of smoke - kinda scary pulling the cables off. (think fast - which cable do you take off first?) no damage to either car, hopefully that bodes well for you.

the fusible links aren't inline with the starter, they only protect the vehicle electrical system. so the sunroof doesn't close now?

so you boosted from another source? maybe your "new" battery is cooked and won't pass enough charge anymore? have you tried another battery?
    i would also check the thick battery cable for signs of being cooked.

good luck ben, that is a bummer.

I am a total retard. no offense to any retards who might reading this.

Gosh, too bad. At least the whole electrical system is not all toast.

Yes, you can close the roof. There is a small panel that you remove right by the cabin lights (dome lights), and it requires a hex key shaped as a "Z" more or less. That should be in your toolkit in the back, provided it's still there. Otherwise it's just a matter of having the right size.

Good luck !

Dude stuff still works! that is a great thing for sure!! eliminate the nasties from the realies and then repost, I dont thing you did too bad yet.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    radio works, headlights work, interior dash lights work but dome light does not.

sunroof will not tilt back down - is there an emergency procedure to close the sunroof?

I'm going to be out of town for a week, so the car is just sitting in my garage at this point. I am worried that things are really toast in the wiring harness, and possibly the ECU.

It's less unlucky than REALLY STUPID on my part. I am so upset at myself, it's unbelievable. I am heading back to Canada tomorrow, and instead of driving my own car I will now be hitching a ride with my parents, who had come down to visit for the weekend. I feel ashamed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast