GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winter tires-What brand?

Default winter tires-What brand?

Anyone use Firestone winterforce tires on their e34. I am considering the 205x65x15 size on stock crossspoke wheels.

I keep hearing blizzaks are not real worth the extra money unless you are in aress that are snow covered all the time as they wear out fast on pavement. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Where are you located and how much will you use them?

These are the two biggest issues. I have had my Hakkapellitta 5's on for a month but I live in Chicago and we just got another 6" last night. There is nothing wrong with Blizzaks. My last ones lasted 4 seasons here in Chicago. Just make sure you by what you need for the area. Try to also mount them on dedicated rims so you do not stretch them by mounting and unmounting them each season. Be prepared to see a lesser selection or availability this year due to some shortages. These are caused by the province of Quebec making snow tires mandatory this year which has caused a shortage in Canada and is now trickling into the USA. Hope this helps.

Mandatory?! Wow... No wonder the price is high for Hakka over here in US.

Lexington, Ky. Ice is primary issue as we get a lot of the freeze/thaw cycle. Commute every day in the car and expect mostly dry or wet pavement inadditon slush, fresh snow and ice.

Yes it does help. I see now why there is more limited availability
    Last edited by Russell; 12-21-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Nokian Hakka is my favorite... the studless type. They last super long time and awesome traction. I had Bridgestone Blizzaks before I learned about Nokian. The Blizzaks has great tractions but wears out fast (you only got half a tread for snow tires and the rest is basically all season tire) and the steering feeling is very numb. I don't know about their latest one but I am sure they improved the steering response.

I heard people are happy with Dunlop Graspics... they are cheap and has plastic fibers in it to act like a soft spike... something like that. My cousin has them in NH and he thinks they are good. His first snow tires was Blizzak and he couldn't believe the amount of traction over all season tires.

I have gone through 3 sets of blizzack snow tires. They are life savers during fresh snows when the plows haven't arrived yet. I used to get stuck all the time with all-season Michelins, but never with the Blizzacks. Oddly, they're great on snow and pretty good on ice, but worse than all-season tires in the rain. Go figure.

I once heard someone describe them quite aptly by saying "it's like driving on Nerf Balls." It doesn't take long to get used to the added softness though. I've heard the Nokians are the bomb, but I've never been able to justify the extra cost. And they're often sold out in my area.

I'm on Blizzaks now, and find them disappointing. Not too bad in snow, but terrible on ice. Nokian's rule on ice, and are way bettr in snow too. A little spendy though.
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

blizzaks are very soft and wear kinda fast I just bought some for my car about a month or so ago.....now we just got hit with our first big snowstorm of the year

I love my blizzaks
    -Mike

As long as nobody has mentioned them yet, Michelin X-Ice isn't a bad tire. I've used them on my '82 300td with good results. It handles fairly deep snow well, acceptable on icy surfaces and provides good braking. It also wears well. It's one weakness, IME, is lateral traction while turning in an intersection.

That said, my daily snow car has Nokian Hakkapeliitta Qs on it; my wife's car, Hakka RSIs.

I'm about to head to work. We got 11 inches of snow overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Mandatory?! Wow... No wonder the price is high for Hakka over here in US.
    yes, as of december 15th for cars and light trucks - you think they are expensive there?!?

+1 (times a zillion) on nokians... you get what you pay for - i have hakka5s but i didn't have them studded. they are awesome, really.

a lot of people around here recommend blizzaks too. winter driving is pretty hardcore here tho, you might not need to go all out in kentucky.

i would also recommend 205/65 if you are on 15"s and 35psi all around and throw 10 or 20 kilos of sand or salt in the trunk... some might very well disagree with me... there is an old thread on winter tire pressure somewhere...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast