GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cross threaded spark plug

Default cross threaded spark plug

So installing the first new spark plug i made the mistake of doing it with the ratchet, and cross threaded it half a turn. Then i tried it again another half turn... now its cross threaded 3 turns and im scared shitless. I bought a kit that will ream out the hole and then i can press in a new sleave, but i think you need to take the cylinder head off to clean out the chips, and theres no way im doing that. Should i drive it to the shop on 5 cylinders, im thinking of putting the plug in finger tight and driving it gingerly to the shop with the plug wire disconnected, what do you guys think? All 5 other plugs went in very easily, just my luck...

Black/Black '90 535IM..... '65 Cal look vw bug

Get a spark plug thread chaser. It is a tool just for this purpose.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by casurfer911 View Post
    So installing the first new spark plug i made the mistake of doing it with the ratchet, and cross threaded it half a turn. Then i tried it again another half turn... now its cross threaded 3 turns and im scared shitless. I bought a kit that will ream out the hole and then i can press in a new sleave, but i think you need to take the cylinder head off to clean out the chips, and theres no way im doing that. Should i drive it to the shop on 5 cylinders, im thinking of putting the plug in finger tight and driving it gingerly to the shop with the plug wire disconnected, what do you guys think? All 5 other plugs went in very easily, just my luck...
    2 Choices: Take out the cross-threaded plug and leave it empty and insulate the un-used spark plug wire to not short anything. (I don't know if the cylinder is going to be full of fuel by the time you get to the shop).

Or

Get it towed to a competant garage. They have a mini vacuum that fits in the spark plug hole to suck up the shavings otherwise you risk bending a exhaust valve with those shavings in there.

Happened to a friend of mine. He called me after the cross-threaded 3 of the 6 cylinders on a rb20det (Skyline gts). Tried to start it and it ran TERRIBLE....wouldn't even idle. Got it towed and they re-threaded the spark plugs holes.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue View Post
    Get a spark plug thread chaser. It is a tool just for this purpose.
    x1.
    If the plug hole threads are in reasonable shape you should get away with it.
    Drive it with a loose plug and you risk blowing the plug out and wrecking the threads completely; without a plug and you have fuel vapour on a nice hot engine

X2, not a big deal.
    Think you're shitting bricks? I did this once to a Ferrari.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Anywhere in particular i can pick up a thread chaser tool, i stopped at kragen and the guys were clueless. Do these tools start from the back where the threads are still good and work outward to keep chips out of the cylinder?

Black/Black '90 535IM..... '65 Cal look vw bug

Quote Originally Posted by casurfer911 View Post
    Anywhere in particular i can pick up a thread chaser tool, i stopped at kragen and the guys were clueless. Do these tools start from the back where the threads are still good and work outward to keep chips out of the cylinder?
    Not sure where you are but they are widely available. They go from the outside-in so no need to take the head off. Check this one out:
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ive-hand-tools
    The groove is to collect the crap - you might smear a tiny bit of grease in there to collect any swarf.

Default KD tools makes this one that threads from the inside out

so you don't have chips falling into the cylinder. If you hunt around you should be able to find it locally

http://www.restockit.com/14-mm-Internal-Thread-Chaser-Spark-Plug-Rethread-Tool-(KDT3545).html

Any auto parts store has them... called Spark plug threader. Put grease on the threader to catch all the aluminum shavings.

The key is to be absolutely sure you are threading it the way the spark plug goes in... It is easy to rethread them in different angle.

Get the threader that is the same depth as the spark plug... there are other brand where it only goes in 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    so you don't have chips falling into the cylinder. If you hunt around you should be able to find it locally

http://www.restockit.com/14-mm-Internal-Thread-Chaser-Spark-Plug-Rethread-Tool-(KDT3545).html
    Wow! Never seen one of those. Had to read it twice to make sure I understood it. Starts off with the 'good' threads at the bottom and works its way out?. Not cheap but a hell of a lot quicker and cheaper than taking the head off. I break NGK plugs for fun so will be making a mental note of this. Nice one! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast