GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car hesistates at idle when putting the trottle down

Default Car hesistates at idle when putting the trottle down

Symptoms are, at the the traffic lights in drive, normal idle is 700 - 800 rpms. when i put throttle down, it goes to about 500rpms almost stalls and then pulls away fine again. it only happens at idle and not elsewhere. what can i check / do to fix this problem. i think it's afm (air flow meter) related, but i'm not sure and i've never mucked around / cleaned the afm before.

I searched through he old posts here http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/searc...d=531698&pp=25 but couldn't find much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    Symptoms are, at the the traffic lights in drive, normal idle is 700 - 800 rpms. when i put throttle down, it goes to about 500rpms almost stalls and then pulls away fine again. it only happens at idle and not elsewhere. what can i check / do to fix this problem. i think it's afm (air flow meter) related, but i'm not sure and i've never mucked around / cleaned the afm before.

I searched through he old posts here http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/searc...d=531698&pp=25 but couldn't find much.

i have this but only when it's just been started.
    i wonder about the fuel pressure regulator sometimes but i really have no idea.

mine does the same thing if i dont drive the car for a couple days right at start up...after 10 sec...its totally fine

Maybe try cleaning the carbon wiper on the AFM. Wouldn't recommend mucking with the spring tension. Seems to make things worse overall.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I very much think it's afm related. around 30% throttle from idle, the car almost stalls. what product do you I use to clean the carbon wiper on the afm Jeff?

Wrong Jeff but you can use spray carburetor cleaner, very safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    I very much think it's afm related. around 30% throttle from idle, the car almost stalls. what product do you I use to clean the carbon wiper on the afm Jeff?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

okay, thanks for that.

Default The idle air bypass screw has some effect on

mixture across the entire range, if its a little too lean it will do what yours is doing, look for cracks or leaks in the hose between your afm and the throttle body, if none are found i would readjust the idle mixture with the idle air bypass screw. a little bit makes a big difference so its better if you hook it up to an exhaust gas analyzer while doing it since you can see small changes there easily. A poor connection at the coolant temp sensor will also do this. Check and clean connections

Hello Bill!

Yes - those are better suggestions and simpler than cleaning the AFM wiper area. I can second that if the car has a slight vacuum leak and is running a bit lean, it will definitely have problems on throttle tip in. Funky tracks in the AFM could cause a similar response but these would be more likely.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I had the same symptom of hesitation off the line before I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Upon replacement, the symptoms completely disappeared. The CPS was the only change....because it failed on me. My guess is that an old CPS doesn't provide a clean enough signal and the ECM doesn't respond properly to the throttle opening. Worth a look if the other suggestions don't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast