GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charge trek XIII - 'what's for dessert?'

Default charge trek XIII - 'what's for dessert?'

hmmmm, how about another alternator?

this one had better work - isn't it missing something? like a belt wheel?

or do they come like this now?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll admit, I don't have enough time in a day to follow all your threads , but do wish you extra good luck with desert. Your pulley will swap over (hopefully).

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    hmmmm, how about another alternator?

this one had better work - isn't it missing something? like a belt wheel?

or do they come like this now?
    tim, how many amps. is your new alt.? how much you got it for?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Hopefully this is the LAST alternator to go in there for awhile. Not to far to go before you pass the number of superbowls we've had with the number of threads you've had :o

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Tim, mine came like that. You need an allen or preferably a torx to hold the shaft of the old Alt, then simply unscrew. There is a slight taper fit so you will need a wheel puller to get the pulley off. I used an impact gun to snug it onto the new alternator. Not plug and play but easier than I thought... just need to put mine on after 1.5 years.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    tim, how many amps. is your new alt.? how much you got it for?
    it's expensive, it will come out to around $400 after taxes and the core refund. it's the 115A... the 140A didn't fit the m20 mount (careful!). no way i would have paid that to begin with but things happen as they do, and i'm happy to have a real bosch at least.

thanks for that info, jeff - i had a spare hour before sundown today, and am really glad i read your post before deciding to do it or not. (....not)

i am sorry for all the threads... do you think i have the record yet? it's the best way to get rid of irrelevant information and i have ruled out sooo many things now. i'm sorry it's taking so long guys, i'm amazed i still get replies! just a couple jobs left now and you can have your forum back.

i really need to solve this badly tho - i really could have used max blower this morning, at least i'm done painting...

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tim eh?; 12-10-2008 at 08:34 PM.

I look forward to your new threads! Weather is a bit challenging there I see, have a place to do this at if you get it towed or just going to hack away in that weather?

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    it's expensive, it will come out to around $400 after taxes and the core refund. it's the 115A... the 140A didn't fit the m20 mount (careful!). no way i would have paid that to begin with but things happen as they do, and i'm happy to have a real bosch at least.

thanks for that info, jeff - i had a spare hour before sundown today, and am really glad i read your post before deciding to do it or not. (....not)

i am sorry for all the threads... do you think i have the record yet? it's the best way to get rid of irrelevant information and i have ruled out sooo many things now. i'm sorry it's taking so long guys, i'm amazed i still get replies! just a couple jobs left now and you can have your forum back.

i really need to solve this badly tho - i really could have used max blower this morning, at least i'm done painting...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

wow $400! i hope this time all would be fine. anyway i used to have a 140amp alt. that came from z3.pulley gave up on me so i had the mechanic took out my whole alt. to have the pulley machined. on the way back he accidentally dropped my alt. in the highway bec. it wasn't secured enough in his scooter! grr. talk about bad luck! now im back with 115

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    I look forward to your new threads! Weather is a bit challenging there I see, have a place to do this at if you get it towed or just going to hack away in that weather?
    i'm glad to hear it, there will be more i'm sure! i think you get the wrong impression, she took me to work this morning - runs and starts great, just took 20 minutes to hack the ice off. now you know why i wasn't fussy about the painting... what's the point? i've done enough hacking today... 20 minutes hacking the ice off my car, then 30 minutes hacking it off the work truck, then another twenty minutes hacking so i could drive home. right now though i can only use the blower on 3 and i can't use the rear defrost which is so handy sometimes. i do all my hacking and everything else (car-related) outside, it's why i generally start panicking around now. it doesn't last long tho, usually by mid-jan it turns into depression.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8 View Post
    wow $400! i hope this time all would be fine. anyway i used to have a 140amp alt. that came from z3.pulley gave up on me so i had the mechanic took out my whole alt. to have the pulley machined. on the way back he accidentally dropped my alt. in the highway bec. it wasn't secured enough in his scooter! grr. talk about bad luck! now im back with 115
    oh wow, weird that fits but not the one i got that's made for the e34, although maybe the pulley went bad b/c it wasn't an exact fit? i had to stay with the same store b/c of all the returns, but that price seems to be the norm for that alternator around here. i now wish i had had my old one rebuilt instead.

this is not going to solve my problem though, i am sure of it. i am positive it is either the cable or connector running beside the engine. stupid long story, but you noticed this was episode 13 lord have mercy.

i'd be massively interested to know what readings you get on the obc function9 test with heavy load seeing as we have the same setup i think - is your alternator bosch or other?

Thrifty mechanic huh? Riding a scooter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast