GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: charge trek XII - 'the new connection'

Default charge trek XII - 'the new connection'

anyway, when the next alternator goes in and doesn't make a difference i'm going to do what bmg suggested - disconnect the battery-starter-altB+ cable and run a new one externally. my christmas present to me... battery cable....

i could go on and on about this...

tiger is right - KISS ... well ... battery cable... simple... stupid...

i bet a lot of people have this problem and don't even notice... i'm sure the voltage drop is happening there... it's the only thing anywhere near anything that gets warm and the voltage drop happens when the engine gets warm... you can (well... i can...) see the starter cable is corroded as nuts.

here is the diagram again

connector X964 is buried here

i'm going shopping soon... i have to make some kind of terminal in the area marked by the yellow... errr.... rectangle kind of thing i 'drew'. then i will send a battery cable each to the battery and starter and some kind of suitable cable to the alternator.

i am loosely following shogun's thread and praying i can get through winter with this. tips appreciated...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    anyway, when the next alternator goes in and doesn't make a difference i'm going to do what bmg suggested - disconnect the battery-starter-altB+ cable and run a new one externally. my christmas present to me... battery cable....

i could go on and on about this...

tiger is right - KISS ... well ... battery cable... simple... stupid...

i bet a lot of people have this problem and don't even notice... i'm sure the voltage drop is happening there... it's the only thing anywhere near anything that gets warm and the voltage drop happens when the engine gets warm... you can (well... i can...) see the starter cable is corroded as nuts.

here is the diagram again

connector X964 is buried here

i'm going shopping soon... i have to make some kind of terminal in the area marked by the yellow... errr.... rectangle kind of thing i 'drew'. then i will send a battery cable each to the battery and starter and some kind of suitable cable to the alternator.

i am loosely following shogun's thread and praying i can get through winter with this. tips appreciated...
    What are you doing tomorrow. I'll meet you somewhere and we'll get this sorted, I don't want to be on the BMW (Bus/Metro/Walk) and see an black E34 pulled over with the hood open.

I have 4 gauge wire lying around here, we just need to get crimp connecter's and we're good to go, and a can of the strongest lubricant we can find.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    What are you doing tomorrow. I'll meet you somewhere and we'll get this sorted, I don't want to be on the BMW (Bus/Metro/Walk) and see an black E34 pulled over with the hood open.

I have 4 gauge wire lying around here, we just need to get crimp connecter's and we're good to go, and a can of the strongest lubricant we can find.
    i'm fixing my window tomorrow. i will do the cabling after the alternator goes in.
    the main problem is installing a solid power terminal in that area... that is what i will shop for first, i don't want want to tear into that wiring/coolant routing in these temps. thanks tho.

i'm fixing my window tomorrow. i will do the cabling after the alternator goes in.
    the main problem is installing a solid power terminal in that area... that is what i will shop for first, i don't want want to tear into that wiring/coolant routing in these temps. thanks tho.
    tomorrow is going to be nice, only -3....perfect temp for wiring. Plus I just went looking for my 4gauge wire and found it. 18 feet of it. should be enough.

Date is off on camera, just took them:

tomorrow is going to be nice, only -3....perfect temp for wiring. Plus I just went looking for my 4gauge wire and found it. 18 feet of it. should be enough.

Date is off on camera, just took them:
    that's funny, if they are were really from the year 2071 i might consider it. very kind of you to offer charles, but i'm not doing it tomorrow.

i am looking for suggestions as to what to use for a terminal/connector as i am not taking that bracket off. i am not requesting assistance doing it.
    thanks all.

that's funny, if they are were really from the year 2071 i might consider it. very kind of you to offer charles, but i'm not doing it tomorrow.

i am looking for suggestions as to what to use for a terminal/connector as i am not taking that bracket off. i am not requesting assistance doing it.
    thanks all.
    I wouldn't suggest you take that bracket off, otherwise it might warrant an expensive visit to the dealer and they'll have no idea what your talking about.

What I would suggest is get 3 ring connecter's and put a bolt thru the middle and a nut on the other side, tighten and use lots of black tape or a project box.

Like this but for bigger gauge wire: http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-Way-Heat-Shrink...1%7C240%3A1318
    Last edited by bad_manners_god; 12-07-2008 at 02:57 AM.

I wouldn't suggest you take that bracket off, otherwise it might warrant an expensive visit to the dealer and they'll have no idea what your talking about.
    exactly

What I would suggest is get 3 ring connecter's and put a bolt thru the middle and a nut on the other side
    exactly

use lots of black tape
    hmmm

or a project box.
    exactly - one that can attach in a solid fashion.

appreciate the input as always!

exactly

exactly

hmmm

exactly - one that can attach in a solid fashion.

appreciate the input as always!
    Just use zip ties and attach it to the exsiting harness... if you try to remove any bolt's, you risk breaking them.

I meant black tape to cover the 3 ring's connected together, unless you want to see a huge spark show.