GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve lifters noisy on startup

Default Valve lifters noisy on startup

Gents,

It appears my valve lifters are magically de-priming with time since I oil changed her last month.

If I leave her overnight and startup from cold in a morning, I've got a single or a pair of lifters ticking at startup. The ticking stops at the same point on the temperature guage every day, though sometimes will cut out immediately after startup etc.

If I leave her for a few days in freezing conditions then start her up, most of the right bank's lifters clatter quite noisily, then quiet one by one in a front to back order...

She was oil changed with Mobil S or the like 10W-40 and almost immediately started getting noisy.

The PO had the oil pump bolts done (going on 2 years ago) etc, so I'm wondering if this is oil or pump related.

Quite tempted to drop some 15w40 in and see what happens.

Thoughts?

I am thinking that your oil is too thick, not allowing the lifters to re-prime. Especially in cold weather. I am running 0w-30 and only hear the lifters when it gets very cold, I would imagine thicker oil would only take longer for them to prime especially of not a synthetic oil.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My handbook says 1040 is good for -20 to +30 deg C and 1540 is good for -10 to +40 deg C. Unfortunately it doesnt list the 540. I use 1040 and have one noisy lifter. It stops tapping as soon as the idle settles after turning the key. If it didnt I'd certainly be giving the 1540 a go - dont think we've got down to -10 yet have we?

I heard this on mine (at least I hope that's all it is and not a rod bearing) even with 5w30 royal purple synth. Began hearing it only when the temps were at or near freezing overnight and I don't think I have heared it consistantly every morning but admittedly i don't always listen for it. How harmful can this kind of thing be?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Yeah, 15w40 would make it worse. (15 is thicker than 10) I run 5w30 all year myself, and haven't had any problems. When I ran synth, I would put 0 weight Mobil One in...maybe that would quite them down?
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I heard this on mine (at least I hope that's all it is and not a rod bearing) even with 5w30 royal purple synth. Began hearing it only when the temps were at or near freezing overnight and I don't think I have heared it consistantly every morning but admittedly i don't always listen for it. How harmful can this kind of thing be?
    If it's a rod bearing it wont go away.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    If it's a rod bearing it wont go away.

Yah I thought it sounded too light and near the upper engine to be that but another bimmer indy shop guy I found last nigth ,in conversation happened to mention when we were discussing my options for my oil leak in response to my question about what might fail first in the engine. he said Rod bearings,like ifyou hear a tapping when its cold.... and this came to mind but I figured itd unburden myself of the thought so thanks for the info.. should I perhaps try 0w30 instead of the 5weight next change now we're getting into the real Arctic colds here in New Hampshire?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Definetly try the lighter oil, synthetic right? Synthetic will protect a chevy V8 at 400 degrees and piston or bearing wear for 50 miles.... I know. It was 5w-30 and wow purple exhaust manifolds are rare.

Yah I thought it sounded too light and near the upper engine to be that but another bimmer indy shop guy I found last nigth ,in conversation happened to mention when we were discussing my options for my oil leak in response to my question about what might fail first in the engine. he said Rod bearings,like ifyou hear a tapping when its cold.... and this came to mind but I figured itd unburden myself of the thought so thanks for the info.. should I perhaps try 0w30 instead of the 5weight next change now we're getting into the real Arctic colds here in New Hampshire?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I was reading something the other day about these oils... 0w and 5w are both basically 5w oils (you cant get a 0w oil as the number refers to the amount of seconds a set amount of oil takes to flow through a restricted nozzle) 0w is a special case oil that has a different 'pouring point' - aka it turns to jelly at a MUCH lower temperature - like -40C or the like...

5w should protect down to something quite reasonable still? I just see a lot of 0w stuff marketed at boy racers when it's actually a cold weather oil?

Yep... That is the flow weight when cold. In warm weather climate, having 10w-XX or 0w-xx shouldn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    I was reading something the other day about these oils... 0w and 5w are both basically 5w oils (you cant get a 0w oil as the number refers to the amount of seconds a set amount of oil takes to flow through a restricted nozzle) 0w is a special case oil that has a different 'pouring point' - aka it turns to jelly at a MUCH lower temperature - like -40C or the like...

5w should protect down to something quite reasonable still? I just see a lot of 0w stuff marketed at boy racers when it's actually a cold weather oil?
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast