GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My "new" 94 540i came w/only 1 key....

Matt Guest

Default My "new" 94 540i came w/only 1 key....

Hey guys. I just received my 94 540i and it only has 1 key. Is the dealer the only way of getting a spare key? Is it true that they cost over $200?

Thanks!

Matt

Call the stealer, they should be anywhere between 40 and 65 depending on which key (the main key or the valet key).

(Added)
    There are a bunch of different keys for these cars, but the lighted master is ~60.63. It takes 24 to 48 hours, they'll come out of somewhere (in the SE US it's Jacksonville, FL). You'll need your VIN, an ID (they'll photocopy it) and your registration.

A regular key is $13 and remote one is $125 each. If I were you, I'd forget about factory alarm... they really stink and are troublesome... 50% of the time, the alarm doesn't work. Just get the regular key and have aftermarket alarm installed of your choice.

My spare key cost me about 30 bucks (from the stealer) and if my memory servers me correctly, a replacement remote control key would cost around 125 bucks.

Also, IMO...if your not sure when the last time the battery was replaced in your original key, then I would recommend that you do it sometime soon because you don't want to be stuck out in the rain trying to manually unlock your car or, worse yet, unable to disable your alarm system Can't recall, but it may also effect your ability to start your car??? Someone else may be able to verify that statement...anybody?

And, when and if you do replace your battery read your manual because there is more to it then throw the battery in and go.

And BTW, welcome to the forum! So, how many miles are on your car?
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Unregistered Guest

Cost for me was about the same 30 to 35 dollars. Not sure about the battery though. The battery in mine only powers the light that is built into the key. I beleive that the security chip that is embedded into a cheapo key is passive, and does not require a power source.

Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI

Yes, it does affect your ability to start car if alarm doesn't turn off.. and the siren is no fun either. I personally would throw away BMW alarm... it is junk.

Matt Guest

Thanks! The car has 145K miles. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet, it arrived the same day I was leaving town for 2 weeks (bummer) but the guy taking care of my home says it's awesome!.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    My spare key cost me about 30 bucks (from the stealer) and if my memory servers me correctly, a replacement remote control key would cost around 125 bucks.

Also, IMO...if your not sure when the last time the battery was replaced in your original key, then I would recommend that you do it sometime soon because you don't want to be stuck out in the rain trying to manually unlock your car or, worse yet, unable to disable your alarm system Can't recall, but it may also effect your ability to start your car??? Someone else may be able to verify that statement...anybody?

And, when and if you do replace your battery read your manual because there is more to it then throw the battery in and go.

And BTW, welcome to the forum! So, how many miles are on your car?

When I first got my car I had some difficulties with my alarm and not being able to start my car with the alram system activated. As strange as it sounds, the only way I could shut off my alarm was to lift up on the rear seat...dunno know why it worked, but I was very happy lifting on the seat shut that annoying alarm off -- so were the neighbors Anyway, since then I have replaced the battery in the remote and I haven't had a problem...knock on wood. Although, I am worried though that it's just a matter of time before I find myself in this pickle again and the rear seat trick wont work. So, how would I go about disabling, or as you suggest throw away, my BMW alarm system. I live in the sticks and definitely do not need it.

Default i just asked the dealer last week about disabling the alarm without the remote......

he told me unlock the car with the key manually, open the car which triggers the alarm, then use the key in the collum & turn the key on, but not to start position, then to off position, then start car. i tried this & it worked in my 1995 540i/a (build 5/94) with factory alarm system.
    let me know if this works for you.
    tim s.

Sound fairly simple. Hopefully, I never will need to remember this manual procedure, because 1, my memory is fading (to many other things on my mind...) and 2, although I will print this and put in car, I wont be able to find it when I need it However, you got me thinking and I should test this -- even though I probably shouldn't. Wait I see am opportunity hear...the neighbor's kids are always waking me and my baby up in the middle of the night...so, I'll wait till midnight someday and take pleasure in annoying my annoying neighbors Only problem is I hope that back seat thing works just in-case your manual method fails me. Speaking of...no comments regarding the seat trick???