GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Two words...

TC535i Guest

Default Two words...

Chocolate Milkshake.

Good times...

Default hmmmmm

"chocolate", "milkshake", and "good times" can mean a lot of things Tim. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Chocolate Milkshake.

Good times...

Default Technically thats 4 words....: )

Chocolate Milkshake.

Good times...

I'll bet that's not the four words Tim screamed when he found the "chocolate milkshake"....did it start with a "son-of-a-*****" ? and end with an "aw-****"?

I feel for you, but it's not that bad of a job. As long as you do it yourself, it won't cost that much. I think the set runs around $150 from BMA....good luck with it Tim, start cramming the Bentleys or a Haynes so you'll know what to expect.

m20 head cracks arn't hard to find if you don't find any gasket failure, most likely it's a warped head and blown gasket. the places to look for cracks, between the valves, from the chamber to the water jacket and if it got real hot about a 6" crack can develop under the cam. generally it's a tough head to crack, one thing to think of it may of gotten hot enough to kill the rings or even start wearing away the pistons, at which point a used motor or rebuild is in order, if the pistons survived and your up to it a light rebuild (rings, bearings and gaskets in stock sizes with no machine work besides honeing the cylinders with a drill hone to clean em up) can be a little cheeper then a used motor, i've done several of these cheep builds on volvo b230 and b234 bmw m20 m50 and m52 i only know of one that's not still running, one of the m52's was over heated so bad the pistons melted, i recomend gotez rings and gaskets, deves rings suck ass, they are supposed to be for motors that are re ringed and not bored with oversized pistons, the oil ring is a bitch to assemble and every motor i've herd of with them drinks oil
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

I dunno... the car COST $900, am I really gonna spend the time to stumble my way through it, buy the head gasket kit, send the head out for machining, possibly welding, put everything back together and MAYBE it'll work? If the body was straight, I'd put more effort into it (maybe a basic M50 swap), but with a slightly crunched up side and a bent bumper, there's not a lot of incentive to fix it up.

I'm thinking sell some stuff off, make a couple hundred bucks, and send it to a yard.

At this point, maybe I'll buy another E30 (maybe non-S, swap my interior in), change over everything worthwhile (perfect dash, new SI board, etc etc), and call it a day.

that and theres a assload of good cheep e30s out there, one of the coolest is the 91 325i sport not IS, 90 was the last year of the IS in 91 they had a sport model, it had some of the cleanist looking side skirts i've seen on a e30 and a few other goodies
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    that and theres a assload of good cheep e30s out there, one of the coolest is the 91 325i sport not IS, 90 was the last year of the IS in 91 they had a sport model, it had some of the cleanist looking side skirts i've seen on a e30 and a few other goodies
    I'll keep an eye open... SoCal is the fabled resting grounds for nice E30's. Lots of 80's money, people loved these cars to death. Was the 91 "sport" a 2-door? What distinguishes it, standard sport interior?

it looks like a regular is but has side skirts from the factory, i've only seen 2 of them around here, most people don't know it's something different, it's not really any hotter then a is, it's just a neat package put together for the final year of the e30 hard top, it's a 2 door

I'll keep an eye open... SoCal is the fabled resting grounds for nice E30's. Lots of 80's money, people loved these cars to death. Was the 91 "sport" a 2-door? What distinguishes it, standard sport interior?