GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Is my car in limp mode?

Default Is my car in limp mode?

I have a 94 530it that i got cheap and have been fixing up. Just replaced the brake booster and got my brakes working great. Took it for a drive and car accelerates very slow and will not go above 40mph. I can see the rpm's shifting, but car takes forever to move. The first time it cleared up and car drove great, parked it at home then next day it started driving slow again and now it's staying that way. Does this sound like limp mode? I have disconnected the battery for a day,no help. I dont have a transprogram message. Thanks

what codes do you get after the stomp test?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Im not getting any codes from the stomp test

Plugged cat, exhaust, or intake, maybe?

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Does your car have EML at all? That means fly-by-wire, so electronic accell and on the throttle valve there is a motor instead of a bowden cable.
    On a car with EML it could be limp mode, because the EML will go into limp mode if for example a wheel speed indicator does not give a plasuble signal.

It can be your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. It is located between air filter box and intake. Try cleaning it first. You can find MAF sensor cleaner in any auto parts store. But most likely it is bad from your description. Important Note: DON'T TOUCH THE SENSOR LEAD as it can be damaged easily. But you should check for fault code first so you don't waste money and time fixing something that's not broken...

Quote Originally Posted by barry 90 525i View Post
    I have a 94 530it that i got cheap and have been fixing up. Just replaced the brake booster and got my brakes working great. Took it for a drive and car accelerates very slow and will not go above 40mph. I can see the rpm's shifting, but car takes forever to move. The first time it cleared up and car drove great, parked it at home then next day it started driving slow again and now it's staying that way. Does this sound like limp mode? I have disconnected the battery for a day,no help. I dont have a transprogram message. Thanks
    Last edited by Rick L; 11-27-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Barry,

Welcome to the Touring club!

My 94 530iT never responds to the stomp test, so I'm not surprised that yours doesn't either.

Limp home acts like a car needing a tune-up or a sparkplug not firing rather than like something seriously wrong. Not the case here as it ran great once.

Best of luck troubleshooting,

Fin