GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: charge trek X - A New Beginning

Default charge trek X - A New Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Gee Tim, did you fix your electrical gremlin or are you gonna shoot for episode XX?

well, seeing as you asked... no... and i'm freaking out a bit it's getting cold i need the amps for my heated seat!

i told them i'm bringing the alternator back again - i'm turning into an unreasonably hardnosed consumer... there will be a mob of salesmen after me before long, i might have to leave town.

i should find out today what my options are, if i can i'll get a bosch 115A just because that's what i had before and it worked fine so i'll know for sure if i have a problem elsewhere. i might have to try an aftermarket 140A.

you'll be sure to hear about it....

So are you gonna throw a party once this is fixed ?

vines ebay store has 140a jobs that fit onto an m50 for around $50usd. i don't know if your pulley system would work with it, though. my 07/1991 525i uses one. sourcing a replacement voltage regulator for it, however, is a pita.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Everyone has those voltage regulators... however, sourcing a "cheap" regulator is a real PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Everyone has those voltage regulators... however, sourcing a "cheap" regulator is a real PITA.
    ok, i'll clarify. there's no point in asking someone to get you a voltage regulator for the 140a bosch from a 1992 525i, unless you take the voltage regulator out first and read them the number off of the rectifier first. iirc, it took bma about 3 tries to get me the right one. some of them have the brushes parallel to the rectifier, some perpendicular, some in another configuration....

yeah, and it wasn't cheap in 2004 dollars either. i think i finally ended up with one for about $48 or $50.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    ok, i'll clarify. there's no point in asking someone to get you a voltage regulator for the 140a bosch from a 1992 525i, unless you take the voltage regulator out first and read them the number off of the rectifier first. iirc, it took bma about 3 tries to get me the right one. some of them have the brushes parallel to the rectifier, some perpendicular, some in another configuration....

yeah, and it wasn't cheap in 2004 dollars either. i think i finally ended up with one for about $48 or $50.
    wow - i don't need more headaches and the market just isn't the same here.

if i can get a 115A bosch from these guys i'll be happy to pay the difference. that way i'll know for sure if there really is anything wrong with the rest of the car b/c the (really) old one worked well until it bit dust.

if it's not the alternator i'm taking it to get the alternator and starter cabling redone somewhere.

if that's not the problem i'm going to try setting the car on fire and seeing if that helps at all.

if i do ever get it fixed i will throw a party the weekend after my month-long nap.

woohoo - bosch 115A coming friday, only $100 more.

whether it helps or not i should go back to the store next week and see what he does when i tell him i have to return it. no, that would be mean...

tbc...

What do you guys think my chances are of replacing the batt/alt/starter cable are on a cold day? Anyone know where to start there?

diagram-> http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attac...3&d=1226811139

photo-> somewhere in there (from alternator looking towards firewall)

***- i already saw shogun's thread

another diagram (realOEM link).. i can't find one of the starter cabling.
    Last edited by tim eh?; 11-27-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Be smart about this tim, make the cables inside in the warmth and then go outside, undo the bolts, (don't drop them) and then just install the new cable.

OR

Remove old cable, go inside, make one like it, then go back outside and install.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god View Post
    Be smart about this tim, make the cables inside in the warmth and then go outside, undo the bolts, (don't drop them) and then just install the new cable.

OR

Remove old cable, go inside, make one like it, then go back outside and install.
    good advice - I'm really not sure about doing it in the cold. I usually prepare as much wiring as I can indoors... **** I have done a lot of wiring.

I just can't find any info on which bits to take off to get to that cable and connector, and more important what not to break!!!!

Such a pain in the ass going to a shop right now with snow tire's being mandatory in 2 weeks. I'm so incredibly sick of this.

***- and what about that connector? so long as they are all attached well and solid and nowhere near anything else it should be good.... right?
    Last edited by tim eh?; 11-27-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast