GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken fuel tank strap

Default Broken fuel tank strap

Noticed today that I have a broken fuel tank strap. It is on the side with the fuel filler pipe. In the USA that is the passenger side. I don't know if they consider this the right or the left side. Anyway how tough is it to replace these straps? I crawled under the car and I see there is a bolt near the back bumper but the strap is pretty much cover up on the other end. Do I need to remove the heat shield to remove the strap? Anyone have a write up on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Noticed today that I have a broken fuel tank strap. It is on the side with the fuel filler pipe. In the USA that is the passenger side. I don't know if they consider this the right or the left side. Anyway how tough is it to replace these straps? I crawled under the car and I see there is a bolt near the back bumper but the strap is pretty much cover up on the other end. Do I need to remove the heat shield to remove the strap? Anyone have a write up on this?
    Here's the only pertinent information I found in the Bentley;

7. While supporting the tank from below. remove the fuel
    tank heat shield and support strap mounting bolts. See
    Fig. 1. Carefully lower the tank from the car.
    Installation is the reverse of removal.

Tightening Torques
    • Fuel level sender/fuel pump to fuel tank
    M6 nut 10 Nm (89 in-lb)
    M8 bolt 23 Nm (17 fHb)
    • Fuel tank to body 23 Nm (17 fHb)
    • Heat shield to fuel tank (bolts) 10 Nm (89 in-Ib)
    • Fuel tank drain plug
    (with new seal ring) 25 Nm (18 tt-lb)
    • Hose clamps
    10 mm to 16 mm diameter 2.0 Nm (18 ln-lb)
    [/left]

There's more if you end up needing todrop the whole tank but looks like the heat shield and straps should not require that much and there doesn't appear to be anything further involved..
    Last edited by Jehu; 11-22-2008 at 09:37 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Looks like

Looks like the back of the strap hooks over an edge and the front bolts on in front

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Here's the only pertinent information I found in the Bentley;

7. While supporting the tank from below. remove the fuel
    tank heat shield and support strap mounting bolts. See
    Fig. 1. Carefully lower the tank from the car.
    Installation is the reverse of removal.

Tightening Torques
    • Fuel level sender/fuel pump to fuel tank
    M6 nut 10 Nm (89 in-lb)
    M8 bolt 23 Nm (17 fHb)
    • Fuel tank to body 23 Nm (17 fHb)
    • Heat shield to fuel tank (bolts) 10 Nm (89 in-Ib)
    • Fuel tank drain plug
    (with new seal ring) 25 Nm (18 tt-lb)
    • Hose clamps
    10 mm to 16 mm diameter 2.0 Nm (18 ln-lb)
    [/left]

There's more if you end up needing todrop the whole tank but looks like the heat shield and straps should not require that much and there doesn't appear to be anything further involved..

perhaps they clip or hook in to the body at those two semi-circular indents on the back edge,yes. Doesn't seem to make much sense for them to hook onto the tank does it? Those must just allow the straps room and they hook in above the Tank?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    I don't know how you can fix this broken strap, BUT you have to know that the jonction between the tank and the filler pipe is prone to rust so it's very fragile and if you broke it you'll be really in trouble ..... on the passenger side your tank is actually hold in place by the filler tube .... If i were you i'de not drive the car in that condition.

Car is parked and I have a jack under the broken strap. I will need to find out tomorrow if I can get the strap locally. I don't see any leakage from the filler.

Whenever you talk about parts or order parts:

left/right hand side of car is from the driver's seat looking forward.
    Does not matter if it is left or right hand drive, right is right and left is left from driver's seat looking forward.

Found a strap here locally. Lists for $16 USD on line but it cost me $35.00 from the local bimmerobbers (VOSS BMW) here in Dayton. At least they had it in stock. Pretty simple to replace. Jacked up the car. removed the right half of the heat shield and the fuel filter, letting the filter hang by the rubber hoses. Pulled the heat shield out just enough to get the old strap out and get the new strap in. One end of the strap has a J-hook configuration. It just drops into a square hole in the frame. Did help that I soaked all of the nuts and bolts with PB blaster.....great stuff. Any way my oldest son and I did the job...great father son time. Found a 91 735i for sale 135,000 he want $3500.00. Does this seem like a fair price? He is selling it because his son has gotten two speeding tickets in it now

That is low mileage for a 1991 735i, price of $3.500 I cannot comment from here, as we have different market prices. And it all depends how the car was maintained. If there is a backlog in maintenance, then it will cost you some more, same stuff basically as on the E34, so no surprises for you. M30 engine parts are the same, many parts are interchangeable with E34.
    Great car I would say. Cheapest to maintain among the E32 series.
    750 isd another dimension, that costs a hell of maintenance and DIY skills and special knowledge about the M70 engine and electronics, so more for the people like Ross etc..

Took a look at the 7 tonight. Car is in pretty good shape but the M30 doesn't perform very well. I notice right off that a hose was missing from a diaphragm on the top of the engine. I am trying to find out what this valve does. Also the auto trans seem to be a little sluggish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast