GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An interesting alternative to the e34?! Thoughts?

Default An interesting alternative to the e34?! Thoughts?

Hi guys. Just getting the itch for a change in mobile (and for a little more go to be honest) and I've been considering looking into an e34 540i. However in browsing around the internet I came across some superb examples of the Jaguar XJR that were ratehr affordable. I wasn't really looking to spend this much but something like this would be the dream: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/735917.htm

It's the only other car, besides the e34, that I would be interested in because I'm very picky over styling etc so there are very few cars I do like the look of.

I don't know how much people here will know about these cars in particular but just wanted to go out on a limb and see if anyone has any input/experience with these? I do know some of the V8 Jags suffered from the Nikasil problem in a similar way to the m60...

From what I read these cars are renound for reliability, but I was worried about it being supercharged as I don't know much about this to be honest - are they normally reliable? Costly to fix/maintain? Would I be expecting to spend more/less on general running costs over the course of the year? I know it's not going to be an economical motor fuel wise, but I'm used to that by now. The way i'm thinking of it is I'd be buying a newer car which should 'technically' require less/the same general maintenance as the current vehicle my much loved 535i.

So, what do you think?
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I know nothing about these things other than what I just learned from looking at the photos

Hmm, rear end is a bit, how we say.... "Crown Victoria"

No problem doing oil changes without ramps. likely due to the 20 " detroit alloys wheels

OK, now that I've been 'that guy', can you tell us a bit about the drivetrain?

Best of luck in your search,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I reckon it depends on how much you've sunk on maintenance into your car. For example, on mine I've had the common faults (water pump, radiator, shocks all round, whining autobox etc etc) sorted and now it's reliable and cheap to run (except that is for being a 4 litre V8). That Jag certainly seems good value but would you then not have to start afresh sorting out all the Jag's niggling problems?

I like the XJR. In North America, they are super cheap. I would not buy one, bc there is no manual transmission available. But that is my personal preference. I find the styling to be superb.

I don't see it as being comparable to the E34, however. 7-Series, yes.

i think this car is great. price isn't bad, and it's in the same class as the e39m5. in my opinion, a decent replacement for the e34, with all due respect.

Quote Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
    i think this car is great. price isn't bad, and it's in the same class as the e39m5. in my opinion, a decent replacement for the e34, with all due respect.
    with an auto tranny and that chassis, it's not exactly in the same class as an e39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    with an auto tranny and that chassis, it's not exactly in the same class as an e39 M5

hey...it can't come close to the m5, but it's made to be a competitor to m5

Umm... a Jag? Isn't that a moneypit car that the Brits are proud of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Umm... a Jag? Isn't that a moneypit car that the Brits are proud of?
    by 2000, ford had sorted out reliability issues. My Uncle's XK8 has no problems.

it's a damn pretty ford.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/jaguar-xjr/

I think it is more like the Jag's version of the mercury marauder, than competition for any bmw. power, plush ride, styling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast