GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After sitting... what else could go wrong!?!?!?

Default ***UPDATE*** After sitting... what else could go wrong!?!?!?

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a while. My car has been sitting in my driveway since like march. I replaced all of my front end parts with the Hamburg-Technic parts back then and really didnt need the car because I have been out of town and needs an alighnment. But both tie rod boots are shot and the sway bar links as well.

So I get my car up and going to start driving it, and after taking it for a ride, I notice my one rear brake is sticking. Then right after that I notice my fuel line is pissing everywhere, and my gauge cluster is wigging out!

So to get to the point, I took apart the brake, cleaned the piston put that all back together. I cut the fuel line out, installed a piece of fuel injection rubber hose. Done no leaks.

So i take it for another ride today after fixing it all and freezing my ass off in the meantime, My car wont shift.

The fluid is up to par, as I did a fluid filter change, everything was great before it was parked.

So, it wont shift out of gear in either sport or economy mode, unless it is near redline. Manual mode, I can shift through 1-3 just fine, and cant hit 4th because I am not going to redline 3rd gear.... too fast.

Maybe the there is something plugged up in the trans or maybe my tranny ecu went out or something but I dont know what the hell is going on. Thats why I am here....

Should I take it for a long drive to see if it clears up?

Should I buy a new tranny computer?

Should I change the fluid and filter again? I did it last year in like august, drove like 1000 miles on it.....

I am freaking out!!!!! HELP!!!!

-Pat
    Last edited by Phatty5BMW; 01-06-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

dont freak out dude, it could be a fluke. My trans is different but one time after a hard left turn while accelerating made it stick in 1st, long ride home. Was freaking as you, checked everything and seemed good. Unplugged the battery while checking things and put it all back together, all was fine, trans shifted fine. Maybe a sensor is telling the trans that the engine is cold and holding the gears? Idonno just dont freak.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ya, I just dont understand why it will shift just fine in manual and not E or Sport.

Since the car has been sitting, the battery has been dead, I have charged it and let it run for a while so I dont think the computer would need a reset. I will try it tommorrow but I did the other day unplug the trans comp for a while but it still is doing it. I will try the good ol shogun reset but I dont think it is going to work as planned.

I am going to take it for a nice long ride tommorrow and see if it will clear up after i do the reset. I just dont understand. I have NEVER had anything like this happen.
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

could be low voltage. If the battery has been sitting connected since march, it is almost guaranteed to be shot.

you could try cleaning the gear reader and the A/M switch too just to eliminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    could be low voltage. If the battery has been sitting connected since march, it is almost guaranteed to be shot.

you could try cleaning the gear reader and the A/M switch too just to eliminate them.
    I will check the voltage on it today. The E/S/M switch works as it changes modes when switched, and what is the gear reader? I will update as soon as I get it done. Thanks for the help guys!

-pat
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

IMHO a low battery or a faulty sensor would give you a TRANSPROG warning. My guess is you have a sticking pressure solenoid because it hasnt moved for months

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    IMHO a low battery or a faulty sensor would give you a TRANSPROG warning. My guess is you have a sticking pressure solenoid because it hasnt moved for months

Well my gauge cluster is pissing me off. All the lights on the bottom will work all the time, but the fuel gauge temp gauge and all that wont work unless I rev it to 3k rpm and then it works but sometimes if I hit the brake, it will just turn off.

As for the pressure solenoid, How would you unstick it? Just get the tranny nice and hot or change out the fluid and filter?
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

Quote Originally Posted by Phatty5BMW View Post

As for the pressure solenoid, How would you unstick it? Just get the tranny nice and hot or change out the fluid and filter?
    As long as there are no other adverse symptoms like slipping, I'd do exactly that - get it nice and hot and give it a run. I'd read any fault codes as a matter of course

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    As long as there are no other adverse symptoms like slipping, I'd do exactly that - get it nice and hot and give it a run. I'd read any fault codes as a matter of course

There is no slipping at all, trans shifts fine in Manual. I just got back from a decent drive. Drove it pretty hard, lots of drag strip passes :P Still wont freaking shift! I think I may have to change the fluid again and give that a whirl. I guess I am just going to get it fixed and sell her. I think I may buy me a e39 540 6speed M-Sport. I don't know, I just wish this would shift like normal
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

Quote Originally Posted by Phatty5BMW View Post
    There is no slipping at all, trans shifts fine in Manual. I just got back from a decent drive. Drove it pretty hard, lots of drag strip passes :P Still wont freaking shift! I think I may have to change the fluid again and give that a whirl. I guess I am just going to get it fixed and sell her. I think I may buy me a e39 540 6speed M-Sport. I don't know, I just wish this would shift like normal
    Sorry a decent drive didnt fix it. Have the factory disc for mine that includes a full list of symptoms and fixes. Not a lot of good to you though. Your alternative choice sounds good though I hope somebody can come back and sort this one for you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast