GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: radio and other electronics keep on turning off

Tim, do you have the fuse amounts correct?

You say the thin fuseable link is 80A and the one in the box is 50A, whilst the article from Bruno's article says its the other way around.

It is embossed in the fuse. And also realoem can give you the data. Seach with the words battery cable in realoem and then you find it. It is not under fuses. On the E32 750 it is 80A and 50A. The big one is in the plastic plastik box

hmmm i wonder how clear i was ....

both of my fusible links were the skinny type. they both looked the same but they did have their ratings stamped on them.

i replaced them with the larger 'box type'. in mine it was 80A at the front and 50A in the back.

the thing under the black cover here is just a connector. the fusible link is beneath the heatwrap on the red cable.

the plastic box is connector X963 in this diagram. my cable going to 'E' should be red according to this but it is black.

i removed the connecting bit and attached the two cables directly to eachother, the new fuse fits better that way.

nothing bad happened!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks Erich, it looks like it's 80A

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...1&fg=20&hl=134

my dilema is that I can only find the thin fuse (which is broken) - this was about 3 inches off the positive terminal on the battery wire.

I've followed the battery cable in my car, and the big plastic box, I cannot find anywhere.

Thinking about it, could my car only have one fuse? It contradicts the information on Bruno's website.

you should have two

for sure it will be different on yours, but i have an etm for a 2/89 535i and it says you should have an 80A in the engine compartment and a 50A under your seat.

edit- hey according to this you don't even have the black plastic box.
    Last edited by tim eh?; 11-23-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Okay thanks Tim, I could only find one, 80A coming off (about 3 inches) from the positive battery terminal. hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    you should have two

for sure it will be different on yours, but i have an etm for a 2/89 535i and it says you should have an 80A in the engine compartment and a 50A under your seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    Okay thanks Tim, I could only find one, 80A coming off (about 3 inches) from the positive battery terminal. hmmm
    you found the 80A fuse under the seat?

that is really the opposite of what your etm says.

F99 is supposed to be the 50A fuse.

F0 is supposed to be 80A and in the engine compartment, where my 80A fuse is.

yeah, I found the 80A fuse under the rear seat, thats where the battery is. No worries Tim. I'll replace the 80A fuse and see how I go. I'll post some pictures tomorrow probably. The 50A fuse I have no idea where it is. I'll replace the 80A fuse and see how I go. Thanks for your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    you found the 80A fuse under the seat?

that is really the opposite of what your etm says.

F99 is supposed to be the 50A fuse.

F0 is supposed to be 80A and in the engine compartment, where my 80A fuse is.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 11-23-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    yeah, I found the 80A fuse under the rear seat, thats where the battery is. No worries Tim. I'll replace the 80A fuse and see how I go. I'll post some pictures tomorrow probably. The 50A fuse I have no idea where it is. I'll replace the 80A fuse and see how I go. Thanks for your help guys.
    cool - good luck!

Probably the differences are where the battery is, engine room under the rear seat. In your case, Kris, the battery is under the seat, so the 80A fuse
    FUSE BATTERY CABLE POSITIVE 80A
    in the black box should be next to the battery similar like in my E32 (in E32 all batteries are under rear seat).

The other one: follow the cable from the battery. On my car (left hand drive) it goes from the battery towards the cable duct under the door sills on right side (LHD), where a lot of cables go from the rear to the front and to engine room, that is the major cable duct. Just when that cable enters the duct I found inside the plastic shrink the fuse, you cannot see it, just feel it. You have to remove the shrink stuff.
    See here, that should be same on the E34
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/377728
    In any case, ALWAYS that fuse is near to the battery, wherever that is located.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-24-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast