GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: porsche 996 911

Default OT: porsche 996 911

Well... I never thought i could find a car I liked better then the e34... I never thought I could! Honestly!
    I went to an autocross event and my instructor drove a 996 porsche 911, it handled amazing and was just a blast to get bounced around in! From the passenger seat I thought it had the feel of an e39 540.
    now...
    I've driven a e39 540i (for over a year)...
    It's steering response was like my parents and I trying to have a conversation...
    It's engine revved like me trying to get out of bed in the morning...
    It felt heavy in corners
    BUT
    accelerated like a bat out of hell!
    and was comfortable

I say this because that ended my search! I thought any car OBDII or later had too many electronic gizmos and too much insulation to give me the driving experience that I receive from my e34, the e34 was the car for me!

Then...
    one day last week....
    My friend invites me over and his Dad lets ME (yes ME) take out there Porsche 911 (just your run of the mill porsche 996 911, not a turbo or a 4)

!HOLY JESUS!

from the driver's seat this was no e39! The car was amazing! it had the feeling of my e34... I can't put my finger on it but it felt very similar. It's steering response had the same, ok i'll admit it, better, feeling then my e34, I felt at home right away! and the handling! OMG!!! amazing, hitting the apex right in that car, you felt the rear outside wheel PUSH the car out of the corner, never I have I driven in a car that has handled like that car did!
    plzplzplz help me stick with my e34 b/c I love my car, but the fact that I can have that model Porsche for under $20,000 is causing my mind to think... yea I could afford one!
    HELP!!!!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Definitely cannot compare pure sports car like 911 to a four door sedan like E34. It's day and night difference. I thought my E46 m3 handles well but after driving 911, 911 feels like it would do circles around my M3. It feels very agile and nimble. If I wanted a track car, that would be it!
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

nothing like a 911
    -Mike

the trouble with a 911 is, everyone has one.

who cares? that doesnt take away from the fact that theyre incredible to drive...**** everyone has an M5...you still want one dont you?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son View Post
    who cares? that doesnt take away from the fact that theyre incredible to drive...**** everyone has an M5...you still want one dont you?
    everyone does not have an M5 - at least not in North America. I am lucky if I see one every 2 months in Boston - in Montreal I saw two a year. I see 5 to 10 911's every day.

I prefer to drive cars that are less common, so it does matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
    Definitely cannot compare pure sports car like 911 to a four door sedan like E34.
    good point!

i'm still not convinced though... lol... I did circles around a shelby mustang at the track in my 525i so its all how you choose to drive
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    the trouble with a 911 is, everyone has one.
    I hardly see them, point is everyone may have one but noone drives them, plus the ones that people have are the convertible or the 4... I like rear wheel drive THANK YOU!!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    everyone does not have an M5 - at least not in North America. I am lucky if I see one every 2 months in Boston - in Montreal I saw two a year. I see 5 to 10 911's every day.

I prefer to drive cars that are less common, so it does matter to me.
    I see more m5s then I do 911s...

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit View Post
    I see more m5s then I do 911s...
    no idea where you live - maybe if I lived there my opinion would be different. Even at track events, 911's outnumber M5's, I didn't see a single M5 at track event all summer.

I am not disparaging the car by any means, just commenting on how it seems to be the car people buy as soon as they come into a little money - like a 3 Series, almost. Corvette Z06's have the same sort of commonality issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast