GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: charge trek VIII -"Scottie, break out the ETM!"

It's worth rewiring those, I'm sure you'll take care of that, but being how recent your problem is, I have some doubt it's the source of the problem, unless something in there shifted.

At this rate, you'll know how to wire that car front to end blindfold !

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    It's worth rewiring those, I'm sure you'll take care of that, but being how recent your problem is, I have some doubt it's the source of the problem, unless something in there shifted.

At this rate, you'll know how to wire that car front to end blindfold !
    i wish i didn't but i agree. i tried to find a bad spot in them but i couldn't - nice readings from the ignition switch to the other side of the frayed/spliced bits. i think maybe the little cut bits might have caused the short in the unloader relays, and maybe were the cause of the battery drain... i have to remember to check bat voltage tonight.

temporary fix - i did a better tape job and cut the bits off.... (had to run...) no change... those wires have at least 90% wire left and the original solder looks solid, but i'm on it.

but i should test the ignition switch too... bentley only has procedure for removal. i guess i check the ignition switch at the solder points with the key in appropriate positions. but i don't think i want to put any voltage through the car while i'm doing that.... what do i do?

also should test alternator but i am assuming it is good... the last one came with results from 6 tests.... man i feel so bad about taking all those alternators back. i already went in and talked to the guy and he doesn't seem too pissed. i will also test voltage at the end of the lead to the D+ and see what happens with load after a few minutes.

some of that wiring for the alarm was behind the stereo too... could check that out i guess.

i feel it's pretty safe to rule out the cluster. (...?)

i found that 'unused' blue wire i think (at plug X512), it's very easy to access - i tried to test for voltage but i didn't get any... should i?

i'm still extremely suspicious of those unloader relays. especially the one with two giant burn marks on the terminals. i hooked them both up to 12V and measured resistance for 10 minutes but both were < 0.5ohms and didn't suddenly jump up to 48 or anything like i was hoping they would. i have googled it a bit and it seems to be the recommended solution for a few problems like mine in other bmws, vws, porsches i have seen... so i'm tempted to grab it tomorrow and see if it helps... probably a waste of time and $30.... (...???)

i think i am discovering the car at a good rate now, but it's a bit stressful with winter coming. i bought it mostly for winter - heh silly me!

There's an electrical/electronics shop I go to every once in a while for wires, switches and all : Addison. It's on 20th Ave, right off of Metropolitain, north of it. They may be able to help you with testing your relay, or at least help you figure it out.

http://www.addison-electronique.com/

Show us the spark burns again ? From the pics in this thread, it doesn't look like the relay's been burned (the orange one).

How's the relay box itself ? Can you unbolt it and look underneath ? Is it ageing ?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    There's an electrical/electronics shop I go to every once in a while for wires, switches and all : Addison. It's on 20th Ave, right off of Metropolitain, north of it. They may be able to help you with testing your relay, or at least help you figure it out.

http://www.addison-electronique.com/

Show us the spark burns again ? From the pics in this thread, it doesn't look like the relay's been burned (the orange one).

How's the relay box itself ? Can you unbolt it and look underneath ? Is it ageing ?

Thanks - I have heard about that place but didn't know where it is. I'm really lucky - the TV repairman round the corner loves to chat and likes cars!

The orange relay looks good, it's the brown one that is very suspect.

They look the same but they are different i think. I think the orange one is #2 and the brown one is #3.

doesn't this look suspicious to you? especially seeing as it's directly in the bad circuit!

but it tests ok...

the relay box looks like this - i've eaten off dirtier tables...

but i haven't looked underneath yet... there is this suspicious terminal at the plug for the orange relay, but it doesn't look burned...

yes - a look underneath would be in order i think....

Something has just sprung to mind, can you do the following tests for me when you get a chance?

Measure the voltage at the D+ plug with the ignition on; while the plug is plugged in and while the plug is unplugged.

Take the battery out of the car, leave the ignition on and the D+ cable unplugged from the alternator:

Measure the resistance from the D+ terminal on the alternator to the case of the alternator
    Measure the resistance from the D+ connector on the cable to the battery + lead

Yup, now that I see it, it does look suspicious.

Addison has a lot of goodies : speakers and woofers of all kinds for your car or home, resistors, capacitors, computer goods (keyboard, mouse, box, power), cabling and connectors, tools, meters... I kind of get a kick out of every trip over there. Got my self-re-made hood's grounding cable parts from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Something has just sprung to mind, can you do the following tests for me when you get a chance?

Measure the voltage at the D+ plug with the ignition on; while the plug is plugged in and while the plug is unplugged.

Take the battery out of the car, leave the ignition on and the D+ cable unplugged from the alternator:

Measure the resistance from the D+ terminal on the alternator to the case of the alternator
    Measure the resistance from the D+ connector on the cable to the battery + lead
    not sure i follow, ferret...

remove battery from car but leave cables attached?

how far out of the car?

What he wants you to do is measure the resistance... from D+ to battery positive cable... with ignition on and battery disconnected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12