GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for you diesel owners

Default Question for you diesel owners

Coincidence or solidarity, but I often end up parked next to a guy who owns a '95 525 diesel. He told me today it threw a fan belt on the way to work. He said there is some sensor on diesels that cuts the motor to prevent them being damaged if they start to get hot. Thats why he ended up coasting onto the hard shoulder of the motorway. I am sceptical to say the least. But I'm always willing to learn :-) Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Coincidence or solidarity, but I often end up parked next to a guy who owns a '95 525 diesel. He told me today it threw a fan belt on the way to work. He said there is some sensor on diesels that cuts the motor to prevent them being damaged if they start to get hot. Thats why he ended up coasting onto the hard shoulder of the motorway. I am sceptical to say the least. But I'm always willing to learn :-) Any comments?
    I'd say this is probably crap, I dont think any car is allowed to make a decision to just cut power. Remember the uproar the cutting out 206's caused not so long ago as they were suddenly losing power on the motorway?

The car would be downright dangerous if it did that, from what I remember you have to be able to keep running the engine till it seizes, as after all it's better to have a cheap seized engine than a smeared car on the motorway (hugely expensive when you block the motorway doing that .)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    I'd say this is probably crap
    My thoughts in a nutshell

Diesel engine runs without electricity so alternator will not be an issue unless it is nighttime and your battery is running down for light. However, there is an issue with waterpump as it is not rotating anymore since the belt is broken... would lead to overheating... Just like any gas engine car... engine will run until seized...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Diesel engine runs without electricity so alternator will not be an issue unless it is nighttime and your battery is running down for light.
    Not so on the E34 M51 engine, which uses electronically timed diesel injection systems.

Ahh... so than a broken belt would shut the BMW diesel engine down when the battery runs low.

Ahh... so than a broken belt would shut the BMW diesel engine down when the battery runs low.
    Lol, I suppose, but you'd have to run it around for a week before you noticed any deteriation, the system only uses small amounts of current to adjust the timing. All the injection energy is taken out of the timing chain onto the main injection pump.

The battery on a diesel model is *massive* - far bigger than the V8 battery - I cant imagine it not giving huge warning signs before it went flat enough to stall the car!

EDIT: By which I meant, it'd be blowing steam from the shut down water pump waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before its battery went flat.
    Last edited by Ferret; 11-17-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Right... I know... Diesel use group 49 batter... that gives about 1.5 hours of use unless you are using alot of electricity in the car... But definitely that the engine will sieze before battery runs out.

Since it is electronic timing... It needs certain amount of voltage to power... so when it runds down... injection don't work anymore... and also being electronic, it is possible to shut down engine when it reads higher than normal temp. This is best left to those who owns the car and experienced belt loss.

Right... I know... Diesel use group 49 batter... that gives about 1.5 hours of use unless you are using alot of electricity in the car... But definitely that the engine will sieze before battery runs out.

Since it is electronic timing... It needs certain amount of voltage to power... so when it runds down... injection don't work anymore... and also being electronic, it is possible to shut down engine when it reads higher than normal temp. This is best left to those who owns the car and experienced belt loss.
    The injection systems on a car have to cope with a voltage brown out of down to about 9 volts on startup, which is waaaay beyond 100% discharge on a 12V car battery... I was never claiming that battery run off wouldnt stop the car btw.

1.5 hours? That's like a nominal draw of 55+ amps while running - I'm tempted to rig mine upto an ammeter now to find out what it draws during run time. (And my old 525TDs which I still have access to, just for comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    All the injection energy is taken out of the timing chain onto the main injection pump.
    Isnt this the key to it...what drives the main injection pump???
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast