GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Default Batteries

thought I'd start a new thread on this
    My criteria for battery purchase is price and warranty. They never last me as long as they should because they are not used enough in my mostly idle fleet. If Wal Mart has the size required that's what I buy, if not Autozone.
    I put little stock in the fact that a well regarded manufacturer is behind someones private label as they are invariably built to the sellers spec. usually to a price.
    Sears was famous for mentioning that Michelin was building their tires.

"Hello Bib, this is Mr. Sears, in the US. How would you like to build some some cheap tires for us that we could sell at a large profit?"
    "We at Mishaleen do not build cheap tires"
    "uh huh, I see. How would like to build ten million cheap tires?"
    "Oui"
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Autozone... nothing else for me. The price is awesome and no problem with warranty now that they offer 2 or 3 years 100% guarantee. I hears about Wal-Mart many time and the story goes like this... practically no warranty or service... you buy it, you own it and on your own.

Well, like I said over in Tim's thread I've been happy with Johnson Controls made batteries. Most specifically the ones they make for Costco that have the 100 month warranty. They also make 100 month models for Sears. The Interstates they make are only 85 month. And the ones they build for Autozone are now 7 year warranty, they used to be 5 year.

I went with the Interstate branded Johnson Controls model because Costco doesn't sell the right size, Sears wanted too much $, and last I'd seen Autozone only had the 5 year warranty not to mention it's difficult to find an Autozone around here.

I can't find anything on the Walmart site about auto batteries. What's the warranty & pricing for the group 49 for an E34?
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Default If its a customers car and they want a new

bettery then i always use autozone duralast 7 year or 8 year gold , I never ever have warranty problems with autozone and we have them on every corner around here... If the customer is broke or the car is a real beater and they don't have any money to spend on it I use a used interstate from off of their truck, They usually have used , charged and tested batteries for around 23 usd on the interstate trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    thought I'd start a new thread on this
    My criteria for battery purchase is price and warranty. They never last me as long as they should because they are not used enough in my mostly idle fleet. If Wal Mart has the size required that's what I buy, if not Autozone.
    I put little stock in the fact that a well regarded manufacturer is behind someones private label as they are invariably built to the sellers spec. usually to a price.
    Sears was famous for mentioning that Michelin was building their tires.

"Hello Bib, this is Mr. Sears, in the US. How would you like to build some some cheap tires for us that we could sell at a large profit?"
    "We at Mishaleen do not build cheap tires"
    "uh huh, I see. How would like to build ten million cheap tires?"
    "Oui"

opinions on NAPA batteries anyone? (i think it's too late...)

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    opinions on NAPA batteries anyone? (i think it's too late...)
    NAPA generally has good quality stuff. Would expect their batteries to be pretty decent as well. Just looked at their site and it's got an 18/75 warranty. So that should be a decent battery. Certainly much better than what you had in their before.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    NAPA generally has good quality stuff. Would expect their batteries to be pretty decent as well. Just looked at their site and it's got an 18/75 warranty. So that should be a decent battery. Certainly much better than what you had in their before.
    thanks - got a 'legend' 91-6 , warranty here is 24/75.
    wasn't cheap, but the starter fires like a machine-gun.

I have always purchased Sears Die Hard batteries. It has always lasted many years more than listed month on battery. It might cost little bit more but it has never failed on me and always ran strong within indicated months.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    thanks - got a 'legend' 91-6 , warranty here is 24/75.
    wasn't cheap, but the starter fires like a machine-gun.
    Napa can be pricks sometimes:

e.g. My dad didn't buy $5000 worth of parts during 1 month from them so they cut his garage price.

PCA is way better pricing anyways.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

I have a autozone duralast 3 year that I bought in 08/2003. batteries here usually poop out by the 3rd or 4th year from the heat. the car has sat idle for most of this year, and the battery stopped taking a charge. 10 or 15 cycles with the snap-on battery load tester (carbon pile) a good 18-24 hours on the charger, and it is brick shiathouse again. it is a very resilient battery, it would seem.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast