GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ground distribution

Default Ground distribution

I have a Bently manual and 4 pages of ground distribution diagrams (grds in between what and what and grds points locations) ex: instrument cluster has a ground point # G202, the head lights assembly as grds points # 100 for the left side and #101 for the right one.... Fine but...

Question: is there any documentation that show / describe WHERE EXACTLY are located those ground points ? It's not in the Bently or didn't see it, somebody know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I have a Bently manual and 4 pages of ground distribution diagrams (grds in between what and what and grds points locations) ex: instrument cluster has a ground point # G202, the head lights assembly as grds points # 100 for the left side and #101 for the right one.... Fine but...

Question: is there any documentation that show / describe WHERE EXACTLY are located those ground points ? It's not in the Bently or didn't see it, somebody know ?
    haha I spent all last night night looking for that info in the book and online...

i found half an answer

If you beg borrow or seat the factory electrical troubleshooting manual it will have nice pictures. I have one for the E30 and it is the cat's ass.
    As for those grounds under the dash, I wouldn't be looking there unless you have flood car or a windshiel that has been leaking. Those connections are very well protected.
    The left side under the dash connection is above the steering column if I recall correctly should you care to go exploring.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    haha I spent all last night night looking for that info in the book and online...

i found half an answer
    Was asking that question, looking for a solution to your problem ! As you see knowing WHERE EXACTLY are those ground points on the car / frame could help a lot during electrical prob investigation. Purhaps someone else will have a hint.

In the mean time you may just try to trace visually the main ground connections we suspect and check them (ground log not broken, ground nut not loose, ground point not to rusty etc...). At a galce i thing that the alternator ground point is the engine bloc itselve so if this is a bad ground connection between the bloc and the frame perhaps this bring a weak conection between the battery ground and the alternator ground.. check it at least visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    [...]
    As for those grounds under the dash, I wouldn't be looking there unless you have flood car or a windshiel that has been leaking. Those connections are very well protected.
    The left side under the dash connection is above the steering column if I recall correctly should you care to go exploring.
    have had bodywork done in that area, also floor was flooded from a blocked sunroof drain... please clarify location? how do i get to it- from the ds footwell or through the engine compartment?

See under component location, EVERY electrical connection is shown with a pic and where it is
    http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    See under component location, EVERY electrical connection is shown with a pic and where it is
    http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/
    thanks - i have a copy saved... didn't look, the fool is me...

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Was asking that question, looking for a solution to your problem ! As you see knowing WHERE EXACTLY are those ground points on the car / frame could help a lot during electrical prob investigation. Purhaps someone else will have a hint.

In the mean time you may just try to trace visually the main ground connections we suspect and check them (ground log not broken, ground nut not loose, ground point not to rusty etc...). At a galce i thing that the alternator ground point is the engine bloc itselve so if this is a bad ground connection between the bloc and the frame perhaps this bring a weak conection between the battery ground and the alternator ground.. check it at least visually.
    Just noticed this post I don't know why i missed it.... I hope you don't think I was laughing at you Claude... I knew you were asking for my sake and thought it was funny that I had just spent a lot of time looking for exactly that, thanks for asking! I so very much appreciate your help with my ongoing nightmare.

I assumed that the alternator would be set up to ground itself to where it connects to the .... uhhh.... actually what does it sit on? Big piece of metal with holes, I'll have to find out... so actually that's definitely something to check tomorrow - thanks.... again!