GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Kevlar clutch came in today

Default Kevlar clutch came in today

The final parts are coming in for the M5 project. Now all that's left is the JB 8.5lb flywheel. Should be a few days. This is a quote from the leaflet in the clutch box:

"The revolutionary Clutchtex® KEVLAR® clutch facings that are on the clutch disc represent the best the market has to offer. Long fibered KEVLAR® is made into a cloth and combined with a resin that was designed for the US Space Shuttle. High tech at it's best."

Someone hand me a towel...

Unregistered Guest

Default How much if we may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    The final parts are coming in for the M5 project. Now all that's left is the JB 8.5lb flywheel. Should be a few days. This is a quote from the leaflet in the clutch box:

"The revolutionary Clutchtex® KEVLAR® clutch facings that are on the clutch disc represent the best the market has to offer. Long fibered KEVLAR® is made into a cloth and combined with a resin that was designed for the US Space Shuttle. High tech at it's best."

Someone hand me a towel...

Looks like a Sachs E28 clutch with a kelvar disk. Bet its the E28 M5 clutch with a reworked kevlar friction surface. They change the spring rate in the pressure plate?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

E34 M5 actually, seeing how I have an E34 M5... Yep, they beef up stock clutches. Both the pressure plate and the clutch disc springs were changed to stronger ones. $425 loonies

Good thing I gotta take it easy on the car for the first 5k cause this clutch has to be worn in for the first k.

Actually the clutch fork is a weak link in the M5's. I've known of a few that have broken, maybe there's a way to beef it up since you're running stronger springs.

kevlar condoms...now theres an idea...hmm...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Really? That's the first I've heard of this. Google doesn't come up with anything. Is it the actual fork that breaks? Or the pivot or something? My machinist is really good, he'll take care of it, I just have to tell him which part needs to become stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Actually the clutch fork is a weak link in the M5's. I've known of a few that have broken, maybe there's a way to beef it up since you're running stronger springs.

Default hmm...you sure?

I seem to recall that the stock 535i clutch didn't have take-up springs in the disk. The dual mass flywheel takes the load.

Of course, an M5 could be completely differnent and I haven't had one of those apart to see what the guts look like.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    E34 M5 actually, seeing how I have an E34 M5... Yep, they beef up stock clutches. Both the pressure plate and the clutch disc springs were changed to stronger ones. $425 loonies

Good thing I gotta take it easy on the car for the first 5k cause this clutch has to be worn in for the first k.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Yup, that started out as my stock clutch. I'm pretty sure I even remember seeing the springs in the 535 (E34) clutch way back when we did it... but that I can't say for sure...

Most of the upgrades in this project have resulted from the original being bad and me saying "well, might as well..." LOL well it was also a friend of mine, the performance machinist, and the race tuner that would say things like "oh yeah, well I know this guy that...", "why don't we..." or "well you're already putting all this money into it, we can make you...".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    I seem to recall that the stock 535i clutch didn't have take-up springs in the disk. The dual mass flywheel takes the load.

Of course, an M5 could be completely differnent and I haven't had one of those apart to see what the guts look like.

Bulletproof condom?