GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castrol Edge 5w30

Default Castrol Edge 5w30

Castrol Edge 5w30 5 litres is on special here in OZ at Supercheap Auto for $29.95 That is very cheap for a full synthectic oil.Is it to thin for the M60 v8 engine?

i would think its too thin mate

something lik 5w40 or 10w40 or 15w50 would be the way to go

Could you use 15w50 on a V8? Isn't that too thick for V8? I always thought 50 weight oil is used on high compression engines or turbo charged engines...
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnZ!;313359

i would think its too thin mate

something lik 5w40 or 10w40 or 15w50 would be the way to go
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Pang View Post
    Castrol Edge 5w30 5 litres is on special here in OZ at Supercheap Auto for $29.95 That is very cheap for a full synthectic oil.Is it to thin for the M60 v8 engine?
    Nope, not too thin for the M60. I run Amsoil 0w30 in my M60B40 and it likes it. PO ran Mobil 1 5w30 I think for years. Absolutely no problems. Engine purrs so well you can't always tell it's running. And passes emissions so well it shocks the guys at the testing station.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Nope... not too thin at all. Thinner is better for synthetic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Nope... not too thin at all. Thinner is better for synthetic oil.

?? could you explain a bit, i don't catch it

Thinner synthetic oil is stronger oil than the thicker oil. Their shear rating is much higher so it means stronger oil and protect your engine better. When warmed up, thinner oil is less friction so there shoiuld have better fuel mileage... not a huge margin but noticeble.

dont judge synthetics by the science of dino oils...they used to make thick oils becuase they had to to enable them to survive in high temps or high stress....synthetics can survive in the same situation using much much lower viscosities...
    Gone but not forgotten

You should always use recommended spec from manufacture. All engines are not created equal and designed to use specific weight of oil. Synthetics or dino, weight of oil is similar as it is standard on flow rate. Of course synthetic has higher threshold before breaking down. Both contains additives to preserve and lubricate engine components. Most larger engines like V8 uses thinner oil like 30 weight. I would think this is case in most part since it needs to circulate more in larger area. Smaller engine uses 40 weight. Turbo charged or high compression engines uses 50 weight. But this isn't written in stone. I use 40 weight during spring, summer, and fall. And use 30 weight in winter. So you should use what is recommended by manufacture. If you are using thicker than recommended oil, it might not adequately circulate throughout the engine. If you are using thinner than recommended, it might not protect vital parts of your engine. My E46 M3 uses 60 weight! At $15 a quart, it's not cheap...
    Last edited by Rick L; 11-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Wouldn't changing viscosity affect flow rate coming from the pump? All the pumps are centrifugal (AFAIK) so would this not be the most immediate affect? ie Lower pressure?

I once used 10W/40 in my M30, on a hot day it was noisier. I took it out pretty quick and went back to 15W/50 (reccommended is 20W/50).

I use dino tho, as it is the polllutants in the oil that can be dangerous to your engine. Synthetics may last longer, but they pick up the pollutants just as fast... It seems the best rule is to wip it out and change the filter at shorter than reccommended intervals if you want your engine to remain clean internally- and last.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast