GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some dashboard lights out?

Default Some dashboard lights out?

So suddenly one day my right side of the dashboard lights went off, it is the RPM and the engine level (hot or cold). Everything else is on in the dashboard. any ideas? I don't have the manual with me so I can't check it.

Quote Originally Posted by elbasha View Post
    So suddenly one day my right side of the dashboard lights went off, it is the RPM and the engine level (hot or cold). Everything else is on in the dashboard. any ideas? I don't have the manual with me so I can't check it.

There is a bulb which illuminates the area. Of the wattage values used in the cluster it is the highest . Available at a BMW dealership. Many insist you can remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel. I marred the glass( plastic) face scuffing it on my steering wheel leather trying it that way A combination of telescoping the wheel all the way OUT and turning it all the way to one side and it is suggested you can manage to pull it out. What I know you at least can do is remove the two Phillips head screws under the edge of the dash where the top of the cluster is held in place and pull it far enough out to reach in and disconnect the wiring plugs .I recommend disconnecting the negative battery cable. I did this without taking that step and now my SRS (Airbag) light stays on for about two minutes longer at Ignition than it ought. There are two locking tabs you must turn to allow the Two Halves of the cluster to be separated allowing you to access the circuit board where the bulbs plug in. I was able to change the bulb you mention without completely removing the cluster. It was tight but I reached behind and turned the two tabs, pulled the back apart from the face and was able to angle the cluster sufficiently to get at that bulb. Just turn it gently and remove. installation is the reverse.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

In a way I'm lucky. I have no air bag in my steering wheel and my cluster comes out in one piece very easily. Take out the 2 screws, unplug the 4 connectors, place the cluster in the top gap in the steering wheel and turn the steering wheel to the left. Voila, the cluster slides out. Then you can replace all the bulbs.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph View Post
    In a way I'm lucky. I have no air bag in my steering wheel and my cluster comes out in one piece very easily. Take out the 2 screws, unplug the 4 connectors, place the cluster in the top gap in the steering wheel and turn the steering wheel to the left. Voila, the cluster slides out. Then you can replace all the bulbs.
    yes, you can use the telescopic feature of the steering wheel to slide the cluster more easily out

Quote Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
    yes, you can use the telescopic feature of the steering wheel to slide the cluster more easily out
    +1

Takes a bit of time and you have to be gentle, but it works.
    Remember to disconnect the negative battery cable, and be careful with the plastic connectors on the back of the cluster, the plastic can be a bit brittle and easy to break.

right, the connectors won't just pull out, you have a tiny lever you need to move 90°degrees first...then the connectors just slide out.

Thanks for the information, I guess I need to empty out my sch. one day and work on this

Try tapping on it. It might light back up... If not, changing the bulb isn't too bad. See the link below.

http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/airBagAndBulbs.html

Quote Originally Posted by elbasha View Post
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph View Post
    Tried this method today to pull my cluster to get one of the bulbs out.

Didn't work.

And I did telescope my wheel all the way out before I disconnected the battery. Now I know the wheel in my car (same wheel as the '93 M5 and I think the E36 M3) is smaller diameter than a regular E34 wheel. It's an airbag wheel as well. And I've also got memory seats/etc. so the steering column is a bit different too I believe.

So the combo of wheel & column on my car doesn't leave me the room pull the cluster out w/out pulling the wheel off. Didn't feel like pulling the wheel today so I did it the pain in the ass way and reached around to the backside of the cluster while it was still partially sitting in the dash.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

I pulled mine out earlier. You have to turn the steering wheel, and it's a bit tight with the signal lever, but it comes out. And I've got the airbag in there too. So, I turn to get it out by the left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast