GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Best Headlights Recommendations?

Default HID Recommendations?

Ok, I was looking at the Apexcone 35W/55W Full Size Ballast HID Kit on ddmtuning.com for $50 u get everything needed to run HID's? Some people talk about "projectors".... what r those and do they need to be purchased separately? And can I still use the old high beam bulbs?

Is 55W for high beam only?

And there are all these choices.. as far as color, is this correct?

3000K (Golden Yellow)
    5000K (OEM White)
    6000K (Diamond White)
    8000K (Iceberg blue) [I assume this is just off-white?]
    10000K (Brilliant Blue) [I assume this is "more blue" than 8000K]
    12000K (Exotic Violet)
    30000K (Pink Violet) [Who gets this????]

So for the best lighting without looking cheesy, is 8000K the most "natural light?" Or is it the 6000K?

Also, all these "H" bulb types, why so many? I just want the brightest low beams that will light up the road and anything in front of me the best way possible... is there such a thing? Geez I didnt know lights also contained a huge can of worms for crying out loud....

Many also suggest bavtoys.com, so is the $120+ kit like the UDD Slim Hid/Xenon D2S Kit there somehow better than the Apexcone?
    Last edited by Dathaeus; 11-02-2008 at 03:21 AM.
    1997 328i w/Sports Package
    5 speed manual
    140,000 miles
    Front: 17" (225)
    Rear: 17" (245)

Answerway.com

I am going with 4300K or 5000K at the highest. Not into the blue just a really white light. People fun 55 watts with no problems. You need projectors or ellipsoids either US or Euro. You can't run these with sealed beam headlights. You can put HIDs in the highs but it would basically be fore looks regular highs are bright enough and the HIDs don't like to be flashed so you will be cutting down on its life if you do. DDM claims they have the same internals as everyone else. Some people are very happy and some have had to replace their bulbs a few times. I am local to them so I'm going DDM and if anything goes wrong its a short drive over to their shop.

If you are doing this to DOT us free form buckets ... stop now.
    Even with the clearest of lenses these just don’t give the sharp cut off pattern of ellipsoids. Get taiwanese Depos if you can’t/won’t pay for OEMs. I did for under $200 shipped and think they’re worth it.

I had been running stock. Near perfectly clear by power buffing with plastic polish and stuffed with modified 65w 9005s. The Depos with 55w H1s are a VAST improvement. I’m figuring as soon as i find some upwatted bulbs (65 or maybe 75w) these will be awesome.
    Because of the deer incident last winter the aim was a little off and adjusting was getting difficult.
    One of the tabs had broken on one side as well so the aim would drift with hitting bad potholes too.
    I’d gotten tired of needing to re polish every 6 months as well.
    *sigh*

Hang up & Drive!
    94 BMW 530iT&A 140K, ‘Helga’ ( Boat bus, mit “Musique ... nonstop” *dances* )
    92 BMW 325i 150K, ‘Rolf’ ( Euro vision equipped *woot* )
    93 Datsun NX2000 185K ‘Carla’ ( Uber heated seat & rust holes *shakes head* )
    85 Toyo MR2 130K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, great mpg more fun than a prius *grin* )
    “When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 11-22-2008 at 03:59 PM.

This is of course in contrast to the situation with e34 us ellipsoids. While one can debate getting euro lenses for the ‘city lights’, right side pattern rise and wattages greater than 65; i think the stock DOT are more than adequate with quality 9005s.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty,
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."

– Thomas Jefferson

What chassis car is this? E30? E36? E46? How about a model year at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
    What chassis car is this? E30? E36? E46? How about a model year at least.
    Uh, Dathaus has a 97 according to signature, i’ve got a 92. I figure we’re talking US e36 here.

– Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by paul p (chi-town) View Post
    Uh, Dathaus has a 97 according to signature, i’ve got a 92. I figure we’re talking US e36 here.

– Thomas Jefferson

Oops, I had sigs turned off (it makes forums a little safer in the workplace). Sorry about that.