GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke down - Total loss of engine power - Help!

Default Broke down - Total loss of engine power - Help!

My e34 just broke down, first time in my life a car has done so to me!

While I was driving around, engine half warmed up, felt like one cylinder was missing, ok it does this sometimes and it clears up - not this time though. As engine is almost fully warmed up (I am not sure if this is related, just saying) there is almost no power when pressing the gas pedal, can barely rev in neutral, but it is still driving, just slowly.

Check engine light comes on at this point (will check for codes when I get back from work).

I get through an intersection and it will barely move, engine dies in neutral.

I can sorta start it back up a few times in a row (starter cranking fine), but it idles very poorly and then dies - gas pedal has almost no affect on engine speed.

I let it sit for 10 min or so and try and start it, little better, can sorta rev it up to 1500-2000 rpm, but it dies shortly.

Thinking either spark or/fuel delivery problem??

I am hoping NOT coolant in cylinders, coolant level looks same as always at first glance.

What are some first thoughts before I get stomp codes?
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Well, take your pic.

Crank position sensor, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF, DME.......... without more info most here will be guessing. The fact you had intermitent issues and the car would still move, but slowly would lead me to think fuel filter/pump. when is the last time the filter(s) were changed.

This doesn't sound like a headgasket issue or anything major internally as it still starts (compression).

Then again, I don't know M60 and I won't even mention Nikasil, ooops.

Someone here will provide some real advice

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Thanks Dave, I put in new fuel filters a few months ago or so, I am afraid to look and see if the straight hose that I carefully bent 90 degrees has caused this....it is/was? working flawlessly.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Well, take your pic.

Crank position sensor, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF, DME.......... without more info most here will be guessing. The fact you had intermitent issues and the car would still move, but slowly would lead me to think fuel filter/pump. when is the last time the filter(s) were changed.

This doesn't sound like a headgasket issue or anything major internally as it still starts (compression).

Then again, I don't know M60 and I won't even mention Nikasil, ooops.

Someone here will provide some real advice

Dave
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

any popping or backfires? Could guess a thousand things but will say the basics, fuel or ignition.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ok, so the code is 1221, Oxygen Sensor #1

Hope the following helps...

I just played around with the car now, See picture for reference:

A: MAF
    B: Don't know what this is
    C: TPS (?)
    D: Traction Control Sensor (?)

If I disconnect A and B, the car will start & run, and rev slightly. If I give it full throttle it will pop/backfire a couple times.

If I connect only A and not B, the car dies after a short period of time.
    If I connect only B and not A, the idle hunts around a little.
    If I connect both A and B the engine will quickly die.

In all cases, the engine runs horribly, revs very poorly, but doesn't really die on its own.

When I disconnected C the engine died immediately.

D doesn't look easily disconnect-able like the others.

Exhaust smells like raw fuel - not that type of smell when the engine is started cold and still in warm up mode, this is different...

I don't think there is a fuel problem, since playing around with the airflow equipment I can get the car to idle (but not run well at all) up to temp...
    Last edited by Fetch; 10-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

B = Idle control valve (ICV). I don't suspect this, but yours is easy to get to and easy to clean out with a good dose of carb cleaner. May as well try it.

C = Throttle control valve. This senses throttle plate position and sends corresponding information to DME. I do not suspect this is your problem. You should even be able to start the engine with it disconnected (if it were running properly).

Traction control sensor. Not sure why you've highlighted this bit as it should'nt be giving you grief.

"If I connect only B and not A, the idle hunts around a little"

How does is run other than the hunting idle? This may point to a dirty MAF if it runs better than other scenarios.

At this point, I would focus on cleanoing the MAF and the ICV. Its easier to trouubleshoot the air intake than fuel, but I wouldn't discount fuel quite yet. Just because you smell fuel doesn't mean you're getting enough pressure or you injectors aren't buggered somehow.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    "If I connect only B and not A, the idle hunts around a little"

How does is run other than the hunting idle? This may point to a dirty MAF if it runs better than other scenarios.
    If it idles, but really rough when the MAF is unplugged, there's a large chance you've got a manifold leak going on somewhere... listen down the back of the manifold for a while and try to see if you can hear a sucking noise from a busted PCV plate - other than that, very carefully check all your air carrying hoses up the front of the engine - there's a good chance one is split and/or leaking.

Thanks guys!

I tested the MAF harness according to Bentley and it is OK, I will see what else I can check when I get back from class in a bit here.

I won't rule out fuel delivery problems...

With the ICV connected and idle hunting a little it still runs very poorly.

I just bought some MAF cleaner to clean the MAF, can I use this same cleaner on the ICV or should I get carb cleaner?
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    If it idles, but really rough when the MAF is unplugged, there's a large chance you've got a manifold leak going on somewhere... listen down the back of the manifold for a while and try to see if you can hear a sucking noise from a busted PCV plate - other than that, very carefully check all your air carrying hoses up the front of the engine - there's a good chance one is split and/or leaking.
    I'll check this too....man I did notice a sucking type noise, but I sorta ignored it since I took the engine sound proofing off and it is always louder with that off.....I will listen more
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

This may not be related at all but I thought I would mention it just in case. Something like that happened to me once, exact same symptoms.

The problem was that the air boot came off the throttle body.

I put it back on and everything was working fine again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast