GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: replacing suspension. Looking for advice

Default replacing suspension. Looking for advice

There was some sort of problem with the thread where my post was replaced by a reply from 632 Regal. I left it below.

My suspension is in horrible shape. I am pretty sure every strut and shock is gone. My front end bushings and ball joints are nice and tight, but its still knocking and rattling. The only thing I have not replaced is the shocks, so I think its about time I tackle that.

While I'm at it, I would also like to improve the look of the car by lowering it a bit. I guess that would involve new springs too.

I am trying to find a good deal, spend the least I can and still get something decent. Can't really link to a bavauto page, here is a picture of what I'm looking at:

My question is, is that all I need? The car has about 300,000 miles on it by now, and im wondering if there is anything else that needs to be replaced. I want to be sure that after this repair the car will roll as if off the factory. I'm tired of dealing with noise over bumps.

Should I also get the bearings or mounts?

I plan to do all the work myself. Had a look at some how to articles and with the right tools it really does not look that difficult at all.

-----632 Regal
    I'm not a real fan of Bilsteins, go with sachs/boge turbo whatevers. I threw away a few boxes of that crap.
    Last edited by infurno; 10-31-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Did you change the front sway bar links? They cause that rattling.

No on Bavarian springs... absolutely no.

Yes in Bilstein Sport and go with either Eibach or... what's that other company...

Yeah. Sway bar links, the idler arm, the center tie rod.. and everything else

Thanks for the warning about Bavarian springs.

This is the look I'm aiming for, at least in ground clearance. I plan to get the same wheels too. What springs would you recommend?

Ah, ok I just got that you meant Eibach springs.

the springs in that pic are quite low. Lower than my Eibach. I have seen the Bavauto cars close to that low, parked beside my car for comparison.but I would not recommend Bavauto springs. I am running Eibachs / Bilstein Sports on my car, and it's great. Car handles very well. Lowering the car and adding sport springs and shocks will create a somewhat rougher ride than stock but I have no complaints. I've done the whole end links / control arms thing too.

It's been many thousands of miles with the new setup and I love it. Best mod I ever made to the car, and I did it for the same reason you did - worn out stock suspension.

here's what my car looks like with my suspension setup:

It's already been said, but I'll add to it. Just say no o the BAV Springs, go for the Eibachs & Bilstein Sports.

I'd be getting new bumpstops, new mounts, new spring pads, etc. Pretty much everything in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...28&hg=31&fg=10

All of that is going to be old and worn out with the miles and age of your car. Do the same for the rears.

You said you've already done the bushings, links, control arms, etc in both front & rear? If not you'll want to do all of that as well.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    It's already been said, but I'll add to it. Just say no o the BAV Springs, go for the Eibachs & Bilstein Sports.

I'd be getting new bumpstops, new mounts, new spring pads, etc. Pretty much everything in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...28&hg=31&fg=10

All of that is going to be old and worn out with the miles and age of your car. Do the same for the rears.

You said you've already done the bushings, links, control arms, etc in both front & rear? If not you'll want to do all of that as well.
    if installing bilsteins and eibachs, bumpstops should be removed, not replaced - otherwise you will end up with no suspension travel. Happened to me. I did replace my spring pads with the 3mm variety.

I like the Sach's kit I installed on my car.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by infurno View Post
    I'm not a real fan of Bilsteins, go with sachs/boge turbo whatevers. I threw away a few boxes of that crap.
    Did you look at Koni? I run Billies and H&R springs, I like them, a little stiff w/ hard tires but I track my car so I need to compromise!

As other have said SAY NO to bav auto springs!

I would upgrade your sway bars at the same time because they help body roll more then springs/shocks
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Eibach pro kit ($400) and new stock boges ($75 each) with 3mm pads. These are not very flaterring photos, but you get an idea of the drop. Its lower than most I've seen, especially in the front.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast