GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: No fan clutch in winter?

Default No fan clutch in winter?

Came across this in the archives. http://www.understeer.com/fanclutchmod.shtmlHas anyone removed their fan during the winter months to boost efficiency? It usually stays pretty cold here during the winter, so I was thinking about leaving the fan off when I replace my t-stat in a couple days.

Also. This morning when I started the car up, the heater valve whined really loud. I shut the car off and restarted the engine and the noise never returned. Never happened to me before. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.
    BennyM

just repaired my friends cooling system new tstat, aluminum housing, new hoses ...and I jumped his aux fan so it runs constantly when the car is running
    so as of right now he doesnt have a fan or fan clutch but the car runs in normal operating temps so it really doesnt need it
    eventually hes gonna get an electric fan put in
    -Mike

Bad idea.
    With a properly operating clutch the fan freewheels anyway unless airflow through the rad is needed.
    The electric fans are pretty good at moving air but I wouldn't rely on only that. Getting stuck in traffic(ever have that happen in a snowstorm?)could mean overheating even with low ambient temps.
    You've been around this forum long enough to know the consequences of overheating one of these engines.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Bad idea.
    With a properly operating clutch the fan freewheels anyway unless airflow through the rad is needed.
    The electric fans are pretty good at moving air but I wouldn't rely on only that. Getting stuck in traffic(ever have that happen in a snowstorm?)could mean overheating even with low ambient temps.
    You've been around this forum long enough to know the consequences of overheating one of these engines.
    true but Im still pretty sure that a good quality electric fan will do the kob of keeping the car at the temp its supposed to be
    -Mike

Default That was my initial instinct

I figured that if it's there, then it's there for a reason, regardless of season, but it is an intriguing concept...to go without a fan for a while and see if there's any difference.

Anyway, any thoughts on my other question about the heater valve?

Thanks guys.

BennyM

Bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son View Post
    true but Im still pretty sure that a good quality electric fan will do the kob of keeping the car at the temp its supposed to be
    Agreed Mike, except that a dozen year old OE aux fan is less than reliable and not sized for primary cooling duty.

The noise could be the aux water pump below the heater valve. Unplug the connector to it and see if the noise quits.

Agreed Mike, except that a dozen year old OE aux fan is less than reliable and not sized for primary cooling duty.
    actually i was referring to a brand new 16" SPAL fan
    on my friends car, jumping the aux fan was temporary fix
    -Mike

you can bang gently with the hammer on the solenoid valve under the hood and you should be fine and noiseless

about the fan clutch...i don't think it's a good idea to remove it. once you get downtown with a warmed up car, you're risking overheating no matter the outside temperature. that removing of the cooling system is just plain monkey business if you ask me.