GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: charging system vs ihkr/defrost

e34s had a 1000 ca battery in them. your voltage is dropping rather fast, probably a combination of age and an undersized battery.

at .7 volts drop every hour you'd be under 11.5 overnight.

I'd venture to guess you have a bad cell or two in the battery so you have voltage but not the amperage to back it up, and it is dragging your alternator output down by being a constant load.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    e34s had a 1000 ca battery in them. your voltage is dropping rather fast, probably a combination of age and an undersized battery.

at .7 volts drop every hour you'd be under 11.5 overnight.

I'd venture to guess you have a bad cell or two in the battery so you have voltage but not the amperage to back it up, and it is dragging your alternator output down by being a constant load.
    thanks that's helpful - that's what i'm hoping it is... i just have to get enough volts into it so autolectra can do a load test.

i'm surprised i can't even find a tiny draw with the static test tho.

the battery is usually around 12.0 v after overnight.

1000cca??? wow. i thought i had the right battery... #91 here maybe i should get the 93 this time...

correct. the right battery is either a type 93 or a type49

here in the US that usually means autozone 49DL or the interstate Mtp93

mine had a 48 in it, and it failed after only 18 months. luckily i got the local Az to cover it because I had the shop receipt where It was purchased by the PO. they even upgraded me to the 49... more than 2 years later and nary an issue.

100 aH compared to your 65ah... it does make a big difference.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 11-02-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    correct. the right battery is either a type 93 or a type49

here in the US that usually means autozone 49DL or the interstate Mtp93

mine had a 48 in it, and it failed after only 18 months. luckily i got the local Az to cover it because I had the shop receipt where It was purchased by the PO. they even upgraded me to the 49... more than 2 years later and nary an issue.

100 aH compared to your 65ah... it does make a big difference.
    thanks again-

if i manage to return this under warranty i will have to get another moll as that is what they sell.
    i'll have to find some specs for battery size- those other ones have bigger dimensions and i have the engine bay battery not the one under the seat.

... user manual says 65Ah, but bigger is better right? esp. with the winters we get here i guess. looks like there's holes for one 40mm bigger, not much room heightwise. if i go by that, the 93 or 49 won't fit.

12.09v this morning.

it really bugs me i can't get a reading for current draw when it's sitting.
    tried it on 200mA, 20 mA, 2mA - nothing but zeroes. shouldn't i be picking something up?
    Last edited by tim eh?; 11-02-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    ... user manual says 65Ah, but bigger is better right? esp. with the winters we get here i guess. looks like there's holes for one 40mm bigger, not much room heightwise. if i go by that, the 93 or 49 won't fit.

12.09v this morning.

it really bugs me i can't get a reading for current draw when it's sitting.
    tried it on 200mA, 20 mA, 2mA - nothing but zeroes. shouldn't i be picking something up?
    Strange, you should have a small (normal) drain current at least in the 30-50 ma range, do you trust your meter on that testing mode ? you may want to check it with a small 1.5 volt battery and a resistor in serie (ex: you should read 20 ma with 100 ohms).

Otherwise i stick with my first idea: give your battery a good long charge, and redo your loading tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Strange, you should have a small (normal) drain current at least in the 30-50 ma range, do you trust your meter on that testing mode ? you may want to check it with a small 1.5 volt battery and a resistor in serie (ex: you should read 20 ma with 100 ohms).

Otherwise i stick with my first idea: give your battery a good long charge, and redo your loading tests.
    nice one claude, yes it looks like the meter is garbage... couldn't find a 100 ohm resistor (i did actually look!) but i get zilch from this computer fan.

edit- look closely at the wiring in pic 2... (pic 1 is correct) whoops! anyway i redid it properly and got 0 anyway no pic sorry. haha sometimes i really crack myself up!

so... battery remains suspect#1 i'll do something... tests or buy a charger or borrow a battery thanks for the great advice guys - anyone have a 49 or 93 battery in the engine compartment i'd be interested to know.

edit2- whacked question... how small a battery can i run off temporarily? eventually i want a small second battery (for the fridge i'll put in of course) maybe i could just buy a little 'un and run off it for a day or two... (?)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tim eh?; 11-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12