GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best "low beam" out HID solution?

Default Best "low beam" out HID solution?

Bit of Background.

I have just installed ddmtuning's 4500k, 55w, 9006 HID lights in my 95 e34. Got the low beam error. Tried the Bulb out warning (BOW) plug in device from ddemtuning and they did not work. I think they were resistors. This problem bugs me and I want it fixed.

I have searched the various e34 forums and have yet to find the definitive and complete DIY to resolve the low beam warning many e34s get when installing HID lights. There have been suggestions of resistor, capacitors and relays and so on.

None have been really complete enough especially those that say “just plug in a capacitor” Well, what type of capacitor and what type and where do I connect the capacitor. Do I need it for each low beam? You get the idea.

The most complete DIY HID bulb out solution I have found is the e34 M5 write up by Dave McLaren and Garrick Louie. It uses a relay to work with the high beam to fool the LKM. This I may try.

Does anyone else know of any solutions? TIA
    Last edited by Russell; 10-21-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

If you would tell us the DETAILS about the LKM installed, then I might have an answer.

In case of part numbers
    LKM-B   ECE   61.35-8350375 
    LKM-L   ECE   61.35-8350376 
    LKM-B   ECE   61.35-8356017 
    LKM-B   ECE   61.35-1379372 
    LKM-L  J  61.35-1379374 
    LKM-L   ECE   61.35-1390356 

http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20040911/index.shtml

http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20040911/LKM376.pdf

or

Resistor: http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20020126/index.shtml

Use google for the translation from Japanese to English if necessary, the pics and the drawings are basically enough for someone who knows a bit about electronics.

I could never get Dave McLarens relay solution to work on my car, so what I did was: went to the scrapyard, got hold of 2 side blinkers, mounted them in parallel !

Best part, if you use white blinkers and mount them nicely, you get 2 new engine bay lights! I just hid them under the lampcovers..

Lowbeam warning is history, and the 5w bulb is real easy to change should it blow!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bo525i; 10-19-2008 at 02:19 AM.

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

Is this what you need? I appreciate any assistance possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Bo525i View Post
    I could never get Dave McLarens relay solution to work on my car, so what I did was: went to the scrapyard, got hold of 2 side blinkers, mounted them in parallel !

Best part, if you use white blinkers and mount them nicely, you get 2 new engine bay lights! I just hid them under the lampcovers..

Lowbeam warning is history, and the 5w bulb is real easy to change should it blow!
    Very interesting, Wish I had a scrap yard with BMWs locally. Even so, any 90s era BMW should have side marker lights that should work. Question- how would this be different than a "resistor" solution which would be like the failed BOWs I tried from ddmtuning? Thanks again
    Thanks,

Thanks Russel.
    Loewe and then in USA-L Version. That I have unfortunately never had a chance to lay hands on and open it, as in Japan we only have EURO and/or J-specification LKMs.

But I posted on the German 7 Forum some time ago a tip from the German E34 Forum for the Loewe in EURO verion (which has 4 relais isntead of 3 in US version: low beam, high beam, front fog lights, rear fog lights).
    See the red arrow which points to a red dot on a line, cut this line and the alarm will be interrupted. But you will also get no warning when the low beams are really not working.
    http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/bese...non-84243.html

how would this be different than a "resistor" solution which would be like the failed BOWs I tried from ddmtuning?
    No difference actually as the filament in the bulb acts as the resistor.. And you can basically use any bulb in any kind of socket.. One guy in germany soldered in a 1.4w bulb in parallell to the same effect and covered it in shrinkwrap!

CD43,Style 21s,K&N Insert,White blinkers,LED 3rd brakelight,HIDs,front Monroe sportsshocks/Weitec 35 springs,540 Calipers, Zimmermann Discs and Textar pads.

hmm.. would this work in my "f/fog light" warning issue as well? it started also when i installed 3000k hid's in fogs

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

No difference actually as the filament in the bulb acts as the resistor.. And you can basically use any bulb in any kind of socket.. One guy in germany soldered in a 1.4w bulb in parallell to the same effect and covered it in shrinkwrap!
    That means your technique may not work for me. Even so, I may give it a shot with some bulbs I have lying around. who knows?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Thanks Russel.
    Loewe and then in USA-L Version. That I have unfortunately never had a chance to lay hands on and open it, as in Japan we only have EURO and/or J-specification LKMs.

But I posted on the German 7 Forum some time ago a tip from the German E34 Forum for the Loewe in EURO verion (which has 4 relais isntead of 3 in US version: low beam, high beam, front fog lights, rear fog lights).
    See the red arrow which points to a red dot on a line, cut this line and the alarm will be interrupted. But you will also get no warning when the low beams are really not working.
    http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/bese...non-84243.html
    Thanks,
    Now that seems brave! Hate to ruin an LKM. However, you should be able to repair a solder cut if it does not work.

BTW, I have attempted to pull my LKM. However it does not want to seem to come out.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast