GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of curiosity : what newer BMW engine could fit an e34 ?

Default Out of curiosity : what newer BMW engine could fit an e34 ?

Byeyou here had a 2.8 from a 97 3 series fit in his ride, getting better torque with his touring. So I'm just curious as to what other newer BMW engine you could fit in there, and how recent that could go up to. I also remember a V12 being fit into another touring from a 750 donor. That was impressive.

As my e34 has just reached 410 000 kms, the engine runs still great, but not fabulous of course. I might chip it, but I'm not convinced it would be a good idea.

So I'm just dreaming here because I'm not close to being able to afford an engine swap yet. I'm just fascinated by the possibilities.

Well, it's a pretty big engine bay, but being you have a 525, you might have issues with the rack and pinion getting in the way if you entertain a V8 or V12 swap. There's a guy near my work trying to graft the new 3.5 twin turbo into his 535. I'll try to get details, prices and pics when I see him next.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

I know the M62 & S62 have been installed into E34's. I know that putting an S62 in an E34 is a bitch (mostly the electrical, though it's harder if you don't start with a V8 E34). And from what I know the M62 should provide similar difficulties.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx View Post
    Well, it's a pretty big engine bay, but being you have a 525, you might have issues with the rack and pinion getting in the way if you entertain a V8 or V12 swap. There's a guy near my work trying to graft the new 3.5 twin turbo into his 535. I'll try to get details, prices and pics when I see him next.

Rack and peanut steering? I understood all e34s have a steering box. Hmmm,

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post
    Byeyou here had a 2.8 from a 97 3 series fit in his ride, getting better torque with his touring. So I'm just curious as to what other newer BMW engine you could fit in there, and how recent that could go up to. I also remember a V12 being fit into another touring from a 750 donor. That was impressive.

As my e34 has just reached 410 000 kms, the engine runs still great, but not fabulous of course. I might chip it, but I'm not convinced it would be a good idea.

So I'm just dreaming here because I'm not close to being able to afford an engine swap yet. I'm just fascinated by the possibilities.
    i was thinking of putting a 3.0 six from an 2002 e39 but mech. here doesn't know much bout bmw electrical and was concern how he would get it started since he was thinking it has an immobilizer and the cluster might not work.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post

why not chip it? my 91 525 has 401 000 km and I have been running a chip for over a year.

As for newer engines: S50 and S52 are a direct swap, pretty much.

The solution for electrical worries is to move to Megasquirt at the same time. Hack up the wiring from the donor car is the easiest way, but it can be done with either. Gets you a more tunable result that can then be 'improved' later with more hardware, ie FI: s/c t/c methanol, water, etc.

Sounds like a great swap. Be sure to go manual also and get the exhaust right (in my book, that means polished Stainless and as close to stock as possible).

What we really need is someone who converts their e34 to rack and pinion, which was standard on 525ix (AWD) models.

If an e36 rack would fit, we'd all be in for the conversion at some point...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    why not chip it? my 91 525 has 401 000 km and I have been running a chip for over a year.

As for newer engines: S50 and S52 are a direct swap, pretty much.
    That's comforting to know. The engine is old, so I was worried giving it a bit more power could strain it too much. But then again, I'm not talking about dropping a turbo in there.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    The solution for electrical worries is to move to Megasquirt at the same time. Hack up the wiring from the donor car is the easiest way, but it can be done with either. Gets you a more tunable result that can then be 'improved' later with more hardware, ie FI: s/c t/c methanol, water, etc.

Sounds like a great swap. Be sure to go manual also and get the exhaust right (in my book, that means polished Stainless and as close to stock as possible).

What we really need is someone who converts their e34 to rack and pinion, which was standard on 525ix (AWD) models.

If an e36 rack would fit, we'd all be in for the conversion at some point...
    i would love a manual too but tiptronics are the available ones here

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Hmm well you can add bodgitronic if you like, its a bit better than the sludgtronic in the older models...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast