GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions sought - Value of my car?

Default Opinions sought - Value of my car?

Ok I'm seriously considering putting the 535i/M Sport up for sale and buying a 540i/A. Seriously.

I have the advert all ready to go but 1. I haven't had the heart to put it on yet and 2. I'm not sure I'm right in my valuation of the car!

I bougth the car a little less than 2 yrs ago for £1200 and I've spent well over £2000 getting it up to scratch in that time, as you know! Now, I know essentially whatever I do to it itshouldn't add value as such but I think it does because it's a reliable, well maintained example!

Here in GB 535i's are going really cheap but they don't generally seem to have been treated well. Anyway I want to put it up for £1700 - It has LOOOONG tax and just been MOT'd, new clutch, leather sports seats, too many new parts to list, all the usual extra's.

What do you think? Any opinions welcomed I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here... I really want to take a risk and buy a nice 540i but don't want to give up my safe, reliable 535i for buttons!

I hope this thread makes some sense... Obviously if I do go for it if anyone on here would be interested let me know, it's to good homes only.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

I've no idea what your car normally would sell for over there. But I see no reason why dropping over 2K into it over the last 2 years won't add 500 to what you paid for it. And really, how much would that 2K be if you didn't do most all of that work by yourself? Seems like it'd be way more than 2K's worth or repairs/improvements if you'd just taken it to a shop and told them to take care of it. You'd have paid more for the parts, and a whole hell of a lot more for the labor. Would that bring it up to 4K? 5k? More?

Do you need to sell the 535 before getting a 540? If you could I'd take the time to look for the right 540, then take the time to get a good price out of the 535. But this is coming from someone that spent 2 1/2 years searching the entire country for the right E34...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

you are up against it...my car is exactly the same as yours....a guy took it for a drive the other day and he is a bmw enthusiast.He couldnt fault the car apart from the headliner,and he didnt like the non stock rear muffler...My car is very nice appearance wise too..His offer was an insult.He offered me what every other 535 was going for ,but all the fruit was worth nothing to him,just made it the pick of the bunch.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    Ok I'm seriously considering putting the 535i/M Sport up for sale and buying a 540i/A. Seriously.

I have the advert all ready to go but 1. I haven't had the heart to put it on yet and 2. I'm not sure I'm right in my valuation of the car!

I bougth the car a little less than 2 yrs ago for £1200 and I've spent well over £2000 getting it up to scratch in that time, as you know! Now, I know essentially whatever I do to it itshouldn't add value as such but I think it does because it's a reliable, well maintained example!

Here in GB 535i's are going really cheap but they don't generally seem to have been treated well. Anyway I want to put it up for £1700 - It has LOOOONG tax and just been MOT'd, new clutch, leather sports seats, too many new parts to list, all the usual extra's.

What do you think? Any opinions welcomed I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here... I really want to take a risk and buy a nice 540i but don't want to give up my safe, reliable 535i for buttons!

I hope this thread makes some sense... Obviously if I do go for it if anyone on here would be interested let me know, it's to good homes only.
    Dont do it.

You'll regret every day of giving up a manual box and wish you never sold the 535i... I've had two Automatic E34s and by comparison to the manual they're total pants. They're so uninvolved, unpredictable and untrustworthy at this age I'd be staying well away.

I can quite honestly say I'll never buy another automatic E34.

540i autos are kinda "fun" you go near a wet roundabout and you have to drive excessively carefully lest the gearbox shift down twice and try spin you out.

Having driven a 535i sport that I did a HG job on, and my 540i manual - I have to say that the 535i was a much more involving, fun to drive car. The sport suspension combined with the much shorter gears really gets you involved.

Dont get me wrong - the 540i manual I've got is awe inspiring on the motorway and amazing round country lanes... but it doesnt have the tight sport suspension on it, and if you drive it hard it can be *very* tiring having to constantly plan out the best line based on the squashy suspension so you dont die from excess power.

I'd give a lot to swap sport suspension into it!

You need to drive a 540i standard/SE hard before you commit to selling your 535i... all the above is my personal opinion, but if it were me I'd think long and hard commiting to this course of action. If you're really intent on a 540i, I'd save up and wait for the right manual to pop up.

In my opinion and from my personal experience, I would rather keep the 535i.

Quote Originally Posted by sneekens View Post
    in My Opinion And From My Personal Experience, I Would Rather Keep The 535i.
    +1

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Usually don't chime in on debates such as this, but it seems you'll be spending a 'lot' for a little........

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

+2, I own a 540/6 and a 535 5spd. Although my 540 is in FAR nicer condition there is something about that big six I love enough to keep a rusty old car with with near a dozen journeys around the equator in my fleet.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Hey guys - haven't been able to get back on to reply as I've had some computer problems... I won't bore you with the details!

Fristly thanks for all the input so far... I ended up writing an advert for pistonheads but I kinda talked myself outta selling it! It would only be worth it if I could find a 540 out there in the same condition. The Auto/Manual difference would probably be a nice change but I'm sure the 540/6 is awesome. I've never had the pleasure of driving one unfortunately.

As it happens there's one for sale now at a ridiculousl price (for a 6 speed) - So I might look into it. The super low price makes me a bit suspicious though to be honest.

Bubba - Selling mine first won't be a problem, it's 3 miles to work and we have another car (even if it is full of teddy bears and pink stuff!) Most 535i's I see here are going for around £700 - but I doubt they're in as good condition as mine is to be honest... That's why it's hard to put a price on it!

Sneekens - Why the 535i over 540i? I know I've test drove both and the 540i won over, but I haven't lived with both... Which is a different kettle of fish!

Ferret - Would you say then it's worth going for it if I can find a nice manual 540? Is the difference between the two worth the swap? The sports suspension wouldn't worry me really, I'm not into speed around corners it's more straight line and motorway performance that puts a smile on my face!
    I'm also concerned about the Nikasil issue - How did you check yours wasn't a Nikasil block? I've seen the block numbers on Wiki but when you ask most sellers haven't got a clue where to find the numbers etc, did you go and check it yourself?

Ross - If you could only keep one of your cars which would it be? I know Leicesterboy on here had a 540 and a 535 - I noticed he sold his 535 in the end and kept the 540. I don't know why but I'd be interested to find out???!!!

I might put mine on today for a pirce I'd be happy with and see what happens... If I get interest so be it, and if I don't I haven't lost anthing...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    I'm also concerned about the Nikasil issue - How did you check yours wasn't a Nikasil block? I've seen the block numbers on Wiki but when you ask most sellers haven't got a clue where to find the numbers etc, did you go and check it yourself?
    Take a note of the reg plate. Ring BMW on 0870-505160. Quote the reg and they will tell you if the block is affected or has ever been swapped by BMW. They will also tell you all the BMW servicing garages it's been to, along with what was done and when (with recorded mileages).

The service is both easy and free.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast