GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Carsoft for $60... free shipping

Default Carsoft for $60... free shipping

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...549~r.84786247

Pretty good price?

How about a generic OBD/OBD2 reader for $60?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...546~r.84786247

Full disclosure.

I order a lot of stuff from these guys. Quality is hit and miss. Mostly hit. Shipping is free ANYWHERE in the world. That eight digit number at the end of the link is a referral. I get a few points (not cash) if you use it. If you hate me, then feel free to strip it out.

If it's your first time on the site, get ready to spend a few hours on there.

Oh, here's the general link: http://www.dealextreme.com/default.dx/r.84786247

Let me know if you find anything else worthwhile!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Hmm, might take the plunge if we rekon that version of carsoft will work with my early 540i...

If you want to do more than read and reset error codes stay away from Carsoft for any OBDI bmw. While that is a good price for the Carsoft interface you would be better off spending about $100-$150 for this interface.

Please do not get the impression that I am trying to compete with Qube in any way. I am simply sharing my personal experience on which diagnostic interface is the most functional with our cars, and unfortunately, the Carsoft interface just isn't it.

Now back on topic, there is some cool stuff on that website at seemingly good prices. I'll be sure to take a look and put your referral number in if I decide I can't live without something.
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 10-15-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks Qube. Don't let the 1er guys find out you've been slumming with your old hoodlum E34 friends
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    Hmm, might take the plunge if we rekon that version of carsoft will work with my early 540i...
    Carsoft 6.5 works reasonably well on mine (and one or two others' cars). It wont talk to all the modules though - eg I have ABS but I get 'module doesnt respond'. I cant get live data with it either although the facility is in Carsoft. I put this down to the age of my car. What you DO need is an old laptop with a comm port - the pcmcia adapters dont work- for either kit. I have just received the kit Patrick mentioned and will be keen to find out how they compare once its up and running.

What?! No PCMCIA adapters. Bah. I bought one so I could play with eLight on the e39 :\

"Please do not get the impression that I am trying to compete with Qube in any way. I am simply sharing my personal experience on which diagnostic interface is the most functional with our cars, and unfortunately, the Carsoft interface just isn't it."

If you had a post count of 5, then I'd think so. But thanks for sharing! Personally, I'm still using my Peake Scan tool, heh.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Some PCMCIA adapters will work with diagnostic interfaces. Where you tend to have a problem with the adapters is on OBD I cars. From what I have read, OBD II cars seem to have less of a problem with serial PCMCIA adapters.

If I had an OBD II car I'd almost definately find a bluetooth interface. The iPhone has an application to read this data, as well as my device of choice, a nokia n810. Car diagnostics have come a long way since OBD I, which is where most of the problems lie when it comes to new technology phasing out old tech like serial ports.
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 10-15-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Default Carsoft vs. ADS interface

I've had carsoft for a couple of years but thought I'd go for this and see if things have changed. They havent. It took ten days to arrive which isnt bad as it comes from Hong Kong. Read the help file on the disc and you will have it up and running in 15 mins. It will read and clear faults on DME, instruments, bd/mid,dwa, hkl and egs on mine. Just make sure you read the help file on the disc and use the carsoftbmw65 exe file or it wont work. Oh, and dont put SP1 on top or that stuffs it too. The ADS interface took about 6 weeks to arrive and you put it together yourself. That was a benefit to me believe it or not! The software is 'work in progress'. I am not going to name who has been helping me for fear he will be inundated with equiries. Suffice to say I owe him! The ADS does give live data - I can get the temp of my tranny oil!! Cant get my DME details yet but there's time:-) If carsoft did what it said on the can, I'd strongly recommend it. But my experience is that it doesnt. And you can hardly ring Belgium and complain. Dealtime online customer service is worth a look just to see what customer service they offer:-) You pays your money etc

So you have had a year to play with the ADS interface what is your take?

I like it, but don't use it very often. The only time it comes out now is when I am changing my oil and need the SI lights reset. Coupled with GT1 it is very powerful but it takes quite a bit of time to get everything setup correctly.

For what it does out of the box it is worth it, especially over a carsoft interface imo.