GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: odometer stopped at 300k

Default odometer stopped at 300k

My brothers car (member uscharalph) hit 300,000 miles today, then stopped counting. I know he hasn't been posting much, so I thought I would post it. This really has me puzzled. It's an '89 525, so it has the digital readout. Anyone have a clue?

Greg Mendoza

Thats the maximum mileage allowed. You've had your moneys worth. Please dispose of your e34 and buy another one!!!

The mileage and speedo are both electric and are driven from a sensor in the diff (I believe it's in the differential/rear axle anyway). Does the speedo needle still move? If not suspect the sensor or wiring.

Otherwise it's an electrical fault within the gauge itself

HTH
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Early E34s have an older design of cluster that stops at about 300000. If the car is built before about 02/89 it will be affected by this problem

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    Early E34s have an older design of cluster that stops at about 300000. If the car is built before about 02/89 it will be affected by this problem

Fo real??

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default This is for real

I have heard of this many times on Euro cars but not on U.S. version vehicles. Guess you have to buy another coding plug?

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i View Post
    I have heard of this many times on Euro cars but not on U.S. version vehicles. Guess you have to buy another coding plug?
    it's even more complicated than that i'm afraid... i have the same cluster and i've looked into this a bit. there is no coding plug on our clusters - i managed to find one with a white back that works in mine (from a 525 auto) and before i hit 299960km i'm going to try and recode the plug on it somehow following the info on this site...

go here look under 'electronics' and '299960km' .

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

good luck!

*- if you get deep enough into that site you will come across a page translated from russian by a computer, it's pretty funny....

"One of the big problems arises at replacement and repair shitkov devices. I shall describe some nuances below.

1. BMW525i Simens ROM X2402PI

This machine has very whimsical character, for the first time we have collided(faced) such problem when to us there has arrived the machine with dead shitkom, with inscription CODE pleasing an eye. Running forward, I shall tell, the reason in long ignoring inscription INSPECTION, and chasikov before the person of the driver."

... oh yeah!
    Last edited by tim eh?; 10-09-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim eh? View Post
    it's even more complicated than that i'm afraid... i have the same cluster and i've looked into this a bit. there is no coding plug on our clusters - i managed to find one with a white back that works in mine (from a 525 auto) and before i hit 299960km i'm going to try and recode the plug on it somehow following the info on this site...

go here look under 'electronics' and '299960km' .

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

good luck!

*- if you get deep enough into that site you will come across a page translated from russian by a computer, it's pretty funny....

"One of the big problems arises at replacement and repair shitkov devices. I shall describe some nuances below.

1. BMW525i Simens ROM X2402PI

This machine has very whimsical character, for the first time we have collided(faced) such problem when to us there has arrived the machine with dead shitkom, with inscription CODE pleasing an eye. Running forward, I shall tell, the reason in long ignoring inscription INSPECTION, and chasikov before the person of the driver."

... oh yeah!

Shazbat!
    I have an old cluster w/o the coding plug (grey back I think) somewhere for any one who wants to experiment.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Speedometer and trip counter are functional. The speedometer is occasionaly erratic (Seperate issue?).

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    Built 09/1988

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

The mechanic I used to go to with my e34 told me about this and said that in those case you'd need a different chip somewhere. He's done this before on a 7-series.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast