GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A bunch of questions that aren't really related, except that they all apply to the '9

Default A bunch of questions that aren't really related, except that they all apply to the '9

Here's a bunch of questions that aren't really related, except that they all apply to the '95 525i I just bought. I didn't want to hijack the forum, so I put them all into one thread. Input on any or all of these questions is greatly appreciated:

1. My doors don't double lock. Do the 95s with keyless entry no longer have the double locking feature? They key does not turn all the way horizontal like on other E34s.

1.5. The keyless entry module has 5 dip-switches. One of them is a "TRUNK-SW" and is set to "POS." Does that mean I have a "trunk switch?...whatever that is?" Also, dip switch 3 is "SELECTION" allowing me to choose between "SIREN" and "HORN" I don't notice any difference between the two. So, what exactly are these referring to?

2. Would a 530iT swaybar in the rear combined with a stock 525i sway bar in front hinder or help the driving characteristics of the car? Based on what I've read, the "upgrade" would actually do more harm than good. But I ask because I was recently offered a touring rear for free.

3. I'm used to a chipped M50 non-Vanos, but with this '95 model, I noticed that there is no "PREMIUM Fuel Only" label, just "UNLEADED." Does this mean I can put 89 Octane in the tank?

4. I noticed a few rust spots developing on the underside of the car, behind the rocker panels and on the chassis rails where a lot of jack stands have left gouges in the undercoat. Would it do any good to spray some rust neutralizer on those spots? I have a can of stuff that's supposed to turn the rust into some hard black substance, but I've never used it.

Thanks!
    BennyM

1. On earlier models, they automatically double lock. The key will not go horizontal like on older models, but they still double lock. Not exactly sure on how to double lock with the original remote but I have a keylessride remote and I have to lock the car and then push another button to double lock it.

1.5. I believe that the trunk has a switch where if the alarm is engaged and the trunk is open the alarm goes off. The Siren and Horn are probably the same thing. Mine is set on Siren and sounds like a roadrunner.

Default Haha! Roadrunner.

That's actually the perfect way to describe the sound it makes.

BTW, I have the factory remote and I also have to hit LOCK and then ARM. It seems silly to me to have that extra step.

Thanks for the info!

1.5. I believe that the trunk has a switch where if the alarm is engaged and the trunk is open the alarm goes off. The Siren and Horn are probably the same thing. Mine is set on Siren and sounds like a roadrunner.[/QUOTE]

3. Yes, your '95 M50 only needs 89 octane (midgrade) in stock form. Just don't put 87 in it. If you only can choose between regular (87) & super (91-93) I'd be putting super in it. Or you can mix regular & super to get midgrade. That's all that's done at the refinery to get midgrade since they only refine 2 different octanes, regular & super.

4. Take a wire brush to the rust and see if it's just surface rust. If it is just surface rust then sure, brush all of the loose crap off and coat it with a rust neutralizer.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Even with a non-vanos (no knock sensors), I still get away with 87 octane. You may want to give it a shot.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 10-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

2: bigger rear bar reduces understeer, so yes it would help.

say thank you and add that person to your christmas card list.

1: trunk sw should be on negative, all our pin switches are negative. they go to ground when opened. that may be why it won't double lock also... thinks the trunk is open.

2: there is a real easy hack to make any alarm always double lock from a single button press... use a diode on the lock wire to trigger the lock and unlock wire at teh same time. that is double lock (and window rollup if you had a way to continue to apply voltage).

siren: not aware from looking at the diagrams of there being an optional horn circuit on e34s, but they do have the factory siren. Kind of sad mine is dead. sounds like it would have been very distinctive sounding.