GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, Electrics nghtmare..

Default Help, Electrics nghtmare..

Help fellers, got back from sea to the following saga.
    Being lazy got garage to change rear pads,when they tried to return car the drivers window stuck open,they stopped to fix and engine would not start.jumped from pos terminal to starter and away it went. Came back from Nova Scotia on friday and started fine but when I stopped, no go.
    Now the wipers only work fast, central locking no go,windows no go. Battery voltage 12.8 and drop test fine. when mechanic wiggled the fuze box under the bonnet it started.Anybody got an idea what the common wire is? Tried the fuze box wiggle just now no luck......

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards View Post
    Help fellers, got back from sea to the following saga.
    Being lazy got garage to change rear pads,when they tried to return car the drivers window stuck open,they stopped to fix and engine would not start.jumped from pos terminal to starter and away it went. Came back from Nova Scotia on friday and started fine but when I stopped, no go.
    Now the wipers only work fast, central locking no go,windows no go. Battery voltage 12.8 and drop test fine. when mechanic wiggled the fuze box under the bonnet it started.Anybody got an idea what the common wire is? Tried the fuze box wiggle just now no luck......
    Mouse attack?

Have you tried shifting stuff around under the rear seat as well as the engine bay fusebox?

Could be your ignition barrell (sp?) is shot, it causes some weird crap to happen if certain lines are shorted/open circuit... other than that it could be one of your relays in the fusebox doing the post-office shuffle and going on strike, or it could be one of your fuses is partially blown.

However, I think it's likely that one of the bus inputs may be on its way out, if you're getting things back wiggling the fusebox.

I never managed to get my TDS fusebox out, it's a physical nightmare :/ sorry I cant be much help with that mate!

Thanks Andy,for the over 21`s, what is a bus input and where does it come from? just went out and nothing happens anymorew when I waggle anything, bugger!

Thanks Andy,for the over 21`s, what is a bus input and where does it come from? just went out and nothing happens anymorew when I waggle anything, bugger!
    Bus input is one of the main +12v power inputs to the fusebox - have you got a multimeter handy? It's likely to be the thickest red wire under all the fuses.

If so, pull the odd fuse and see if you have +12v on at least one side of each of the fuse sockets... or whether you've got something like +2v. Gimme a minute and I'll see if I can look up which relay controls the power to these lines.

standing by with a multi-meter, anything to Avoid Harry Potter!

standing by with a multi-meter, anything to Avoid Harry Potter!
    Have a look at fuses 17, 30, 31 at first, there should be some voltage on either side of the fuse sockets... put the negative/black terminal on the bodywork and probe each side of the fuse socket with the positive multimeter terminal... still looking at the moment.

Edit: 30 & 31 hide under the rear seats
    Last edited by Ferret; 10-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Fusible link by the battery?

Thanks Tiger but can you confirm there is only one????

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-inde...age=Electrical

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-inde...e=Fusible+link

There is two of them... second one... go all the way down. Sounds exactly like your problem.
    Last edited by Tiger; 10-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    fusible Link By The Battery?
    X2
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast