GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help, Electrics nghtmare..

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards View Post
    Have 12.8 volts all down the line,fuse in ECU box has volts both sides and looks perfect, link near battery looks the same and has power both sides. Now going to try to find fuse 37(!) after that ??????????? Assume that UK diesels have no underbonnet link as battery under seat,cannot find one there, make sense??
    Yeah, from what I remember, the diesels 'second' fusible link is that one in the e-box now I think about it. I'd definitely try using something to jump across the fusible links - especially the one near the battery

For peace of mind, the next thing I'd check is the back of the ignition switch with your multimeter - check that you're getting voltage actually sent to the fusebox.

Might be able to come lend a hand on sunday if you're around and still stuck

Thanks Andy, may call/txt if still stuck,costs will be met! Attacking the switch now.

On US petrol cars the main battery cable comes through the firewall around the e-box. There is a terminal block there with several hot leads. Perhaps a loose or corroded connection there. ALSO the main cable has a "T" in it just inside the firewall, one side goes to said junction block, the other to the ign. switch as I recall. It would seem an unlikely failure but just so you know there is a joint there.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks Ross, but do you mean the main battery cable or the Red main feed wire? The branch you mention, is it in the passenger compartment or the engine bay? If it goes to the ignition switch I assume it is the main feed wire.......

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards View Post
    Thanks Ross, but do you mean the main battery cable or the Red main feed wire? The branch you mention, is it in the passenger compartment or the engine bay? If it goes to the ignition switch I assume it is the main feed wire.......
    Main battery cable on our cars with the battery beneath the rear seat.
    The branch is just inside the firewall I remember, behind the glove box. Not sure how all that goes in RHD cars.
    #2 here, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=12&fg=29

the junction is actually a tee covered in black plastic, one heavy cable in, one heavy one smaller out.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Main battery cable on our cars with the battery beneath the rear seat.
    The branch is just inside the firewall I remember, behind the glove box. Not sure how all that goes in RHD cars.
    #2 here, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=12&fg=29

the junction is actually a tee covered in black plastic, one heavy cable in, one heavy one smaller out.
    I'd also check the jump terminal, post #9 - dismantle and clean this up just in case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123